Turn on thread page Beta

Breaking news: headscarf can be banned in workplace as ruled by ECJ! watch

ReputationRep:
    Breaking news: the ECJ has ruled that employers have the right to ban the headscarf in the workplace meaning it is no longer direct discrimination for employers to ask hijabis to remove their religious attire or lose their jobs. I think it's the right stop towards consistency in the West regarding religion being separate from the state.

Thoughts?

Article:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...626.html%3Famp

ReputationRep:
    Good. If other religious symbols can be banned in the workplace then there's absolutely no reason why the hijab should be exempt from that.

ReputationRep:
    What an insult to liberty.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, religious people need to know the limits society will tolerate.

ReputationRep:
    It didn't ban it, sh*tty clickbait title, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    ECJ ruled that it is not illegal under EU directive for companies to have dress codes which prohibit religious symbols so long as the employer don't discriminate based on religion - which is rather sensible position. Nothing was 'banned'.

ReputationRep:
    IMO if a woman is a Muslim and the hijab is traditional to wear, why shouldn't they be able to wear it if they want to? It's not an employers place to say "no you can't wear that.".
    • Answer Heroes

Answer Heroes
    (Original post by Slytherin House)
    Breaking news: the ECJ has banned the headscarf in the workplace meaning it is no longer direct discrimination for employers to ask hijabis to remove their religious attire or lose their jobs. I think it's the right stop towards consistency in the West regarding religion being separate from the state.

Thoughts?

Article:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...626.html%3Famp
    Your claim is false that is not what the court said . The court has not banned the headscarf.

“An internal rule of an undertaking which prohibits the visible wearing of any political, philosophical or religious sign does not constitute direct discrimination,” the court said in a statement. “However, in the absence of such a rule, the willingness of an employer to take account of the wishes of a customer no longer to have the employer's services provided by a worker wearing an Islamic headscarf cannot be considered an occupational requirement that could rule out discrimination.”
    The Luxembourg-based court found that a headscarf ban may also constitute “indirect discrimination” if people adhering to a particular religion or belief, such as Muslims, are put at a particular disadvantage. But indirect discrimination is permissible if it is “objectively justified by a legitimate aim”, such as a company's policy of neutrality, provided that the means of achieving it are appropriate and necessary.

So a policy ban on ALL religious symbols or clothing is ok as long as it has a legitimate aim and the means are appropriate and necessary. I would be interested to see if there are any test cases with Sikhs.
    • Answer Heroes

Answer Heroes
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    IMO if a woman is a Muslim and the hijab is traditional to wear, why shouldn't they be able to wear it if they want to? It's not an employers place to say "no you can't wear that.".
    Because an employer can decide they want no religious manifestations in their business. It is an employers place as far as the business is owned by them. The important thing is that all religions are treated equally.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really have a problem with this as long as an employer is consistent, rather then singling out a specific religion.

If an employer can ban say visible tattoos or bright yellow rave gear from the office, then the same should apply to religious symbols. Your choice of fictitious sky fairy should not grant you an exemption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    I don't really have a problem with this as long as an employer is consistent, rather then singling out a specific religion.

If an employer can ban say visible tattoos or bright yellow rave gear from the office, then the same should apply to religious symbols. Your choice of fictitious sky fairy should not grant you an exemption.
    Yeah but I have a problem with the tyranny of workplaces in general though. Everyone may be oppressed equally but they are still oppressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I agree, religious people need to know the limits society will tolerate.
    Being told what you can or can not wear. Why does this sound familiar?

Oh yeah

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Oh yeah

Spoiler:
    Show

Companies having and enforcing their dress code during work hours is pretty normal.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine imo.

Employers have the right to prohibit tatoos as they can do with hijabs.

I don't see it as something specific to religion. Militant atheists getting wet for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    members of the FSM religion are typically forbidden from wearing their special headgear at work.

ReputationRep:
    If its not a health n safety issue i dont see the point in banning it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Oh yeah

Spoiler:
    Show

Why don't ask god to tell employers they should allow workers to wear what they like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Why don't ask god to tell employers they should allow workers to wear what they like?
    No need. They'll never get the chance to meet him or his virgins after death. That should be enough of a deterrent for some. As for the rest: fcuk'em

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I don't believe in god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Good. If other religious symbols can be banned in the workplace then there's absolutely no reason why the hijab should be exempt from that.
    Okay am I the only one wondering what else was banned. Sikhs still were their turbans no

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.