The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Second Gap to go to firm university?

My absolute dream was to study Psychology at Sussex university. But I've just been rejected only on the basis that my maths GCSE grade was a C instead of a B. Of course I'm devastated so asked if there's anything I can do to get a place, and was told the only thing I can do is redo my whole maths GCSE - meaning I'd have to take a second gap year before starting.

My question is, is it worth me taking another year out so I can study at the university I've wanted to go to for years or should I settle with another choice?
I've been accepted at UEA and Manchester Met. Neither appeal to me at all and I'm worried if I just accept one I'll regret it and be unhappy throughout university.
Hi there,

Sorry to hear this! If going to Sussex is your absolute dream, then it might be worth taking the year out and retaking your Maths GCSE.

Have you visited UEA or Manchester Met though? We're obviously biased, but UEA campus is a really special place, and has a wonderful atmosphere! Our students agree too - we came 3rd for student satisfaction according to the National Student Survey. Our Psychology BSc is also a UK Top 10 according to the Guardian League Table 2017.

You might like this video about life as a psychology student at UEA:

[video="youtube;tAp3ptqhOfc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp3ptqhOfc[/video]

Before you commit to retaking your Maths, it might be worth a visit! You can book a UEA Open Day here, or attend an applicant day and see what you think.

Good luck making your decision!

Rowan
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Quick Reply

Latest