The Student Room Group

PG application and study questiong (general and Ulster London related)

Here’s the thing. I need to further educate myself in order to be more appealing in the job market. Also I would really like to experience living in London. I figured that I could try to combine these two. I’ve been trying to look into postgrad courses for business or HRM related courses. The requirements that I have for the university is that it is closeish to London, affordable and the course outline sounds interesting. I’m from EU but we don’t really have the similar ranking system of schools so I’m trying to not pay too much attention to it, but should I? Is it worth paying 3000 pounds extra to go to a name university?

I was thinking Ulster University (London campus) due to tuition fees and location. But I’m keeping my eyes open. Before applying or pestering the university admission with my questions I would like to know a few things. Some related to Ulster and some related to postgrad in general, since the UK system is very different from my previous uni

References: I’ve graduated from my undergrad 5 years ago. Is it worth contacting my course tutor and hope she remembers me or is it better to use my manager from work? Since graduation I’ve had two jobs. I’m sure the CEO of my previous work place would be happy to be a reference. I don’t want to tell my current manager that I’m applying to school since this place is….not very supportive (which is why I want to go to school) so I can’t use her as a reference. After management level we have “experts” and “officers”. I would compare experts to be band 6-7 and officers to be band 3-4 in UK terms (yes I work for our version of NHS). Would it be ok to use one of the “experts” as a reference or would it be weird since they are not managers?

Very few schools say how many applicants they have. How many different programs people usually apply? I’m having hard time imagining if there are 10 applicants per spot, 100 per spot or 1000 per spot? How competitive postgrad courses are?

My precious education is from healthcare but I’ve worked as a buyer since graduation. So does it all come down to my motivational letter or do schools have a preference system based on previous education. It only says in the entry requirement is 2:2 honors degree. We technically don’t have the honors system but my grades are pretty good so I think I got it.

Ulster specific: How is the school? How many students are in the London campus? What is the age range? Do postgrad students get to enjoy any student life?

I’m thinking of applying to the September intake. Many schools have a deadline for the application early September but the enrolment week is already in mid September. So basically in 2 weeks time they go through the applications, notify the prospective students and expect the students to arrive? I can’t apply for leave from my work and move to another country in a few days. Or am I not understanding the application deadline and enrolment week terms correctly?

How many lectures are there usually per week. I do realize it varies based on the subject but I’m thinking of business. Everyday from 8-16 or 3 days a week? Do I have time for a part time job?

Thank you for taking your time to read and respond!
Hi,

Lots of questions! Glad you're doing your research early and good luck with your applications :smile:

Refs: generally unis want two academic ones as they will be able to talk about your academic abilities but if you explain your situation they should be able to accept one academic and one professional ref. The professional ref should be from someone who is supportive and knows you, your interest in the subject and potential well. Someone higher up looks good but the previous bits are more important than the title of your ref.

People will apply to multiple programs. 10 is a good number but may be a bit time consuming. I don't see why 3-4 good applications won't get you somewhere you want to go.

Entry requirements: some unis will specify a degree but generally not. They want certain grades and if your grades are from a different country don't try and convert them yourself. Contact the uni and ask for your country specific entry requirements or check their website.

I don't know much about Ulster. Generally uni rankings aren't important unless you want to work somewhere where it matters. Employers are more interested in what you studied, what grades you have and what experience you have. Check course structures to get more info, see if the uni can put you in touch with current or former students and see where grads end up.

The timelines look a bit funny to me. Are you sure the deadline is Sept? That may be when applications open. Or they have rolling admissions till Sept. Generally deadlines are around December time.

For a masters course expect to be doing about 20h a week which will be a combination of taught stuff and self study. It is an intense course so be prepared for that. When you are taught may vary weekly or termly though.
Reply 2
Thank you for taking your time to respond.

If I decide to apply I might contact my former tutor to ask if she has eny recolection of who I am. To be fair I'm not sure if it is a good sign that an university lecturer remember you after several years :biggrin: A few of the school websites did say academic/professional in the references so I'll possible try to have one of each.

Maybe I will try to find 3-4 schools that sound interesting and are within my price range to apply. In here we have to read for an entrance exam so it's difficult to apply for more than one course and you have to rank your application in order of preference so if you get to choise number one then you can't be accepted to anywhere else.

The timeline confuses me aswell. Here are a few links. And as a general feedback I have to say that deadline unofmation other than UCAS is not easy to find from the website! Some clearly state the July is the final deadline but the ones below are a bit confusing. Maybe they just accept suitable applicants and then others if they have space
https://qa.ulster.ac.uk/apply/dates-and-fees/
http://www.napier.ac.uk/study-with-us/postgraduate/how-to-apply/the-application-process

https://qa.ulster.ac.uk/apply/dates-and-fees/
It looks like applicants are accepted on a rolling basis so put in your application early and go from there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending