triple science vs combined science Watch

Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
whats the difference between combined science and triple science? which is easier? does both of them cover the same thing? which is better for studying medicine?
0rg4n1c
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Combined/double science only covers the first 2 units of each science, you get 2 gcses out of it
Triple covers all 3 units of each science, you get 3 gcses
triple is probably better for medicine because you'll get a better start at the science A levels
OshG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you're planning do medicine, you can get away with taking double science but you need to be able to get at least an A.
Also WORK YOUR ASS OFF FOR YOUR GCSE's !! People tend to say GSCE's are extremely easy, but you don't see them getting A*s in everything. Obviously compare to A Level and other higher levels, it is easier but at that stage you find it difficult... don't give up and keep trying !! I'm sure you'll do great.
I took double science and personally I regret not taking triple science as I thought it was the easier option.
Pros of Double Science is that you have a lot more time to revise properly and focus on it, which I guess would get you higher grades
Cons of Double Science is that it only counts as 2 GCSE's and your mind will think you'll have more time to work, but then you don't structure your time properly.
Pros of Triple: 3 GCSE's !!!
Cons of Triple: More work in less amount of time.

I am currently taking A Level Chemistry, Biology (+Maths+Psychology).
In terms of Biology, it's not really a disadvantage if you take double...long as you know the basics of biology (which will be covered in Double Science)
It's similar to Chemistry, although I did at times in the beginning feel as if I had no clue what the teacher was saying, as it was not covered in the Double Science (e.g. Titrations).

What ever you choose, try your best so at least on results day you know that you tried your best !! All the best for medicine, research early into medicine, just baby steps right now...like start to look at things like work experience (so the unis know you're actually interested and not fitting in the work experience last minute).
Be organised from the start and it'll be fine. All the best for you, hope to see you behind the Doctors Desk
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by OshG)
If you're planning do medicine, you can get away with taking double science but you need to be able to get at least an A.
Also WORK YOUR ASS OFF FOR YOUR GCSE's !! People tend to say GSCE's are extremely easy, but you don't see them getting A*s in everything. Obviously compare to A Level and other higher levels, it is easier but at that stage you find it difficult... don't give up and keep trying !! I'm sure you'll do great.
I took double science and personally I regret not taking triple science as I thought it was the easier option.
Pros of Double Science is that you have a lot more time to revise properly and focus on it, which I guess would get you higher grades
Cons of Double Science is that it only counts as 2 GCSE's and your mind will think you'll have more time to work, but then you don't structure your time properly.

In terms of Biology, it's not really a disadvantage if you take double...long as you know the basics of biology (which will be covered in Double Science)
It's similar to Chemistry, although I did at times in the beginning feel as if I had no clue what the teacher was saying, as it was not covered in the Double Science (e.g. Titrations).

What ever you choose, try your best so at least on results day you know that you tried your best !! All the best for medicine, research early into medicine, just baby steps right now...like start to look at things like work experience (so the unis know you're actually interested and not fitting in the work experience last minute).
Be organised from the start and it'll be fine. All the best for you, hope to see you behind the Doctors Desk
thank you too much for your reply
PsychoAnalyser
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Combined science is generally easier, its for those people that do not really like science. It leaves a space open to choose your GCSEs. Universities do prefer it if you do actually do Triple Science, although in Triple Science if you got two good grades and 1 bad grade it would look worse than two B grades in combined science. For combined science you can do all the sciences in A level but to do medicine you will need to get an A in both in combined science, whilst as in Triple they only really want a grade 6 at minimum. Triple science goes into more detail than combined science, triple science also fills in a space. The Russell group prefers Triple Science and a language. just aim to do Ebacc and most universities will have you.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PsychoAnalyser)
Combined science is generally easier, its for those people that do not really like science. It leaves a space open to choose your GCSEs. Universities do prefer it if you do actually do Triple Science, although in Triple Science if you got two good grades and 1 bad grade it would look worse than two B grades in combined science. For combined science you can do all the sciences in A level but to do medicine you will need to get an A in both in combined science, whilst as in Triple they only really want a grade 6 at minimum. Triple science goes into more detail than combined science, triple science also fills in a space. The Russell group prefers Triple Science and a language. just aim to do Ebacc and most universities will have you.
Do unis actually care about Ebacc?
PsychoAnalyser
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by black1blade)
Do unis actually care about Ebacc?
Yes, they do, the Russel group especially. The government recommends all students to do Ebacc. If you want to get into Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) do Ebacc.
black1blade
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, they do, the Russel group especially. The government recommends all students to do Ebacc. If you want to get into Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge) do Ebacc.
Yeah the school forced me to do french saying doing the Ebacc would help me get into uni but I feel they probably did it just to boost their league table stats. I was pretty bad at french and got a C so I probably should have taken music instead or something. Also I don't get the impression that Cambridge really care about gcses grades much. Plenty of people with higher gcse grades than me were rejected where as I got in.
PsychoAnalyser
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a B grade in Spanish and Two As and a B in triple science, damn physics.
Bus I i Hs
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would a dance college care about the EBACC?
great guy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you need any advice... come to this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post78610124

I can help you there

I got triple 9s in my maths,english lit and lang (one of the 2000 people in UK who got it).
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
triple science is harder though probably the better option if you wanna study medicine.
Tyler little
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Thinking I taking a level triple science but what actually is it my school aren’t running biology ma I’m thinking of becoming a nurse
Flower12321
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
yeah, tbh iv'e realised that there isn't a lot more subjects that the triple science do compared to trilogy which is what i chose.You do biology, chemistry and physics but you choose only two out of the three that you go more in to depth. there's only like 2/3 ish more topics tbh.But i didn't really want to do triple science because i don't love physics scared got my exams THIS YEAR, IN LIKE 8 months and iv'e already started my food tech NEA which counts for 50% of my grade and its the first week of school! And ice also started my NEA for computer science but someone last year let the answer of code out or something so we still have to do it but don't get any marks for it!!! and questions come on the test to do with it!!!;(
A02ft1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The Russell group prefers Triple Science and a language.
The only science GCSE I have is in Physics and I didn’t take a language.

Yet, somehow I graduated with a Science degree from Durham — after receiving offers from Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, and Leeds.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bella.ii
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
you can get questions about your NEA in the computer science exam??!
(Original post by Flower12321)
yeah, tbh iv'e realised that there isn't a lot more subjects that the triple science do compared to trilogy which is what i chose.You do biology, chemistry and physics but you choose only two out of the three that you go more in to depth. there's only like 2/3 ish more topics tbh.But i didn't really want to do triple science because i don't love physics scared got my exams THIS YEAR, IN LIKE 8 months and iv'e already started my food tech NEA which counts for 50% of my grade and its the first week of school! And ice also started my NEA for computer science but someone last year let the answer of code out or something so we still have to do it but don't get any marks for it!!! and questions come on the test to do with it!!!;(
katew0025
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I wouldnt say Combined Higher is easier. And it isnt just for those that don like science, i love sscience and i did combined higher and im predicted 8/8's. You actually do the exact same content as Triple students until year 11, when the Triple students are taught the added on topics. However Combined Foundation may be considered easier as most of the equation they do not have to recall.
Last edited by katew0025; 1 month ago
Dayo03
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by katew0025)
I wouldnt say Combined Higher is easier. And it isnt just for those that don like science, i love sscience and i did combined higher and im predicted 8/8's. You actually do the exact same content as Triple students until year 11, when the Triple students are taught the added on topics. However Combined Foundation may be considered easier as most of the equation they do not have to recall.
Combined higher is easier - that's the whole point. The exams itself doesn't have easier questions than triple but they do take out some of the triple questions in the combined paper that's not relevant to them. Combined is only seen as easier because you only have to lear 2/3 of what the triple people are learning
manu04
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by OshG)

tbh im in end of year 10 and i thought that it would be a lot harder
STEM_Nerd
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I agree. GCSEs aren't hard but A-Levels will be a kicker. I'm in your position and it hasn't been too bad so far
(Original post by manu04)
tbh im in end of year 10 and i thought that it would be a lot harder
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.66%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (78)
8.61%
No I am happy with my course choice (540)
59.6%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.13%

Watched Threads