The Student Room Group

Union exploiting students

Hi guys,

So my student union are not paying event staff who collect tickets/set the venue up/do the sound/do the lighting etc and instead are taking them on as 'volunteers'. However under the carpet these people are getting £40 cash for up to 20 hours work. They wear student union clothing and are quite clearly 'working' for the union.

This doesn't seem right or fair, especially when bar staff are getting like £7.30 an hour and the events they are working at are generating money.

To me it sounds like exploitation, should I contact the NUS or someone to look into this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by black0ut
Hi guys,

So my student union are not paying event staff who collect tickets/set the venue up and instead are taking them on as 'volunteers'. However under the carpet these people are getting £40 cash for up to 20 hours work.

This doesn't seem right or fair, especially when bar staff are getting like £7.30 an hour.

To me it sounds like exploitation, should I contact the NUS or someone to look into this?

If they're volunteers, then surely they wouldn't be receiving any payment? Is this £40 just a 'thank you' gesture?

I don't really see what there is to report. If they've been taken on as volunteers and it's clear that there is no pay for this job, then I don't really see what the problem is.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
If they're volunteers, then surely they wouldn't be receiving any payment? Is this £40 just a 'thank you' gesture?

I don't really see what there is to report. If they've been taken on as volunteers and it's clear that there is no pay for this job, then I don't really see what the problem is.

They were initially taken on as 'volunteers' saying they would receive some compensation for their work. This amount wasn't specified and jobs haven't came. They don't always get anything.

Yes they could quit and stuff, as some have, but my point is more about morals. A student union earning millions a year, expecting students to work (9am sat to 5am sun) for little or no pay depending on the job. A student union is a business but also it is normally an advocator of student rights.They have the money and should be looking after their students better imo.
(edited 7 years ago)
They were initially taken on as 'volunteers' saying they would receive some compensation for their work. This amount wasn't specified and jobs haven't came. They don't always get anything.

Yes they could quit and stuff, as some have, but my point is more about morals. A student union earning millions a year, expecting students to work (9am sat to 5am sun) for little or no pay depending on the job. A student union is a business but also it is normally an advocator of student rights.They have the money and should be looking after their students better imo.

I don't agree with you that a student union is a 'business, because its primary objective is not to make money but to advocate for its students.

I think the 'employment' of volunteers in roles such as this is a routine thing. I personally don't see a problem with it - if people don't want to do the work for what's being offered then they don't have to. No laws are being broken, and I don't even find it morally dubious.
Reply 4
I don't agree with you that a student union is a 'business, because its primary objective is not to make money but to advocate for its students.

Not to belittle you at all, but. Student unions are run like businesses. As I'm sure you are aware: they make money from retail operations (cafes/restaurants/nightclubs etc), grants, sponsorship etc. This money then goes and funds their student services. Without any income, I'm not sure how they would have the money to advocate for students?

I think the 'employment' of volunteers in roles such as this is a routine thing. I personally don't see a problem with it - if people don't want to do the work for what's being offered then they don't have to. No laws are being broken, and I don't even find it morally dubious.

I'm sorry but I haven't heard of this before at other universities. Why should tesco or a club like walkabout pay students then? Of course they can leave but some other sucker will take their shoes. The abuse of 'volunteer' and the bypassing of laws (health and safety, min wage etc) should be questioned. Such as, if a light fell on one of these 'volunteers' they won't be covered seen as they are not officially employed.
Not to belittle you at all, but. Student unions are run like businesses. As I'm sure you are aware: they make money from retail operations (cafes/restaurants/nightclubs etc), grants, sponsorship etc. This money then goes and funds their student services. Without any income, I'm not sure how they would have the money to advocate for students?

I didn't say they didn't make money through student activities. I said that their primary role wasn't to make a profit and in this respect they are not like a business. The money a student union makes through these discretionary activities is ancillary to their main source of funding, which is through the the collection of per capita union fees usually collected by the university or a block grant. A student union couldn't survive very long on selling hoodies and Red Bull. With respect, I'm not sure you're fully up to speed on how a union is funded.

I'm sorry but I haven't heard of this before at other universities. Why should tesco or a club like walkabout pay students then? Of course they can leave but some other sucker will take their shoes. The abuse of 'volunteer' and the bypassing of laws (health and safety, min wage etc) should be questioned. Such as, if a light fell on one of these 'volunteers' they won't be covered seen as they are not officially employed.

Are you saying you've not heard of unpaid student volunteers at other universities...? It's a very run-of-the-mill thing. You're wrong in your example of 'a light falling on a student volunteer' - the union, university or a combination of both would have to have public liability insurance which would cover this risk, whether the person is a volunteer or 'employed'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
....union fees usually collected by the university or a block grant. A student union couldn't survive very long on selling hoodies and Red Bull. With respect, I'm not sure you're fully up to speed on how a union is funded.

Which is what I meant by 'grants and sponsorships'... cheeky.

Are you saying you've not heard of unpaid student volunteers at other universities...? It's a very run-of-the-mill thing. You're wrong in your example of 'a light falling on a student volunteer' - the union, university or a combination of both would have to have public liability insurance which would cover this risk, whether the person is a volunteer or 'employed'.

Of course I have, but not in a retail environment. Okay I take the health and safety comment back as I was misinformed and thought they weren't like employment rights aren't.

We could go back and forth and continue arguing, but I'm sure it isn't doing any of our time any good. However it would be good to hear other opinions if you don't mind leaving the post open.
Which is what I meant by 'grants and sponsorships'... cheeky.

Of course I have, but not in a retail environment. Okay I take the health and safety comment back as I was misinformed and thought they weren't like employment rights aren't.

We could go back and forth and continue arguing, but I'm sure it isn't doing any of our time any good. However it would be good to hear other opinions if you don't mind leaving the post open.

Of course - I hope you get a lot more answers than just mine!
Hi guys,

So my student union are not paying event staff who collect tickets/set the venue up/do the sound/do the lighting etc and instead are taking them on as 'volunteers'. However under the carpet these people are getting £40 cash for up to 20 hours work. They wear student union clothing and are quite clearly 'working' for the union.

This doesn't seem right or fair, especially when bar staff are getting like £7.30 an hour and the events they are working at are generating money.

The question is are they employees or just volunteers. Sometimes they can stray into the area of being employees and not volunteers. Obviously if the former then they should be paying min wage.

Not going into it, but you can ring the ACAS helpline.
0300 123 1100

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/overview
Hi guys,

2 questions need to be clarified before anything:

Who is the employer?: Just becoz they're wearing student union clothing doesn't automatically make them their employees. The student union could have paid an agency to supply the staff.

If the student union is the employer, then to next question.

What is the contract?: Are they on a gig-based Uber style contract where the pay is conditional on completion of a task or session before they get paid? Then the £40 would not be unreasonable.

Either of the above reasons doesn't stop the student union giving them money or gifts as good will for the hard work they've done. The one-off reward does not form a contract and the employees would not expect to be paid/gifted again on the next stint.

I've worked in a group preparing & serving food for a big event (some rich dude's wedding) on a Uber style contract with an agency. My contract is with the agency, not the rich dude. The event went well and we were all given £20 each and all he left over posh food as we can scoff. This was on top of what we were paid by the agency.

In my experience, student unions do make clear if the job is unpaid. But it doesn't stop a volunteer being given something out of good will. I worked an an event on a non-paid basis. The people doing the promo has some vouchers left over with a short expiry date which they had to get rid. So they gave the vouchers to us. Does that gift become a contract? Should I expect to the paid this extra on the next event by this employer?
(edited 7 years ago)
If people are choosing to do it then let them choose to do it. Yeah the SU takes in large amounts of money but they also need to keep the costs of events as low as possible so students can afford to attend them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending