AQA A-level Physics (Capacitance) - Concept of Capacitance

Watch
PawanAviator
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When I was reading about capacitance in the AQA textbook in which there was a circuit given with the components of a switch , a capacitor , a variable resistor , ammeter in series and voltmeter in parallel across the capacitor.

When observing the relationship between Charge and Potential difference when current was constant ,[ I couldn't understand why the Potential difference was increasing while the charge was increasing for the capacitor.]

Is it alright if someone could explain why the potential difference increases while charge increases at a constant current?
wannabe_lawyer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's mainly to do with the capacitance equation Q=CV (or C=Q/V if you prefer it that way). The capacitance of any component is fixed therefore as if Charge (Q) increases then voltage must also increase by the same amount in order to maintain the same capacitance.
PawanAviator
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by wannabe_lawyer)
It's mainly to do with the capacitance equation Q=CV (or C=Q/V if you prefer it that way). The capacitance of any component is fixed therefore as if Charge (Q) increases then voltage must also increase by the same amount in order to maintain the same capacitance.
omg.. something so simple to understand. XD

thanks mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads