Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway Accommodation Guide 2017 - Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
x

Quickly tagging you in here to ask a quite bizarrely specific question -- do you know what colour the walls and carpets are in Wedderburn? :colondollar: I'm starting to plan for decorating and I needed to figure out if there were any established colours in the room!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
Quickly tagging you in here to ask a quite bizarrely specific question -- do you know what colour the walls and carpets are in Wedderburn? :colondollar: I'm starting to plan for decorating and I needed to figure out if there were any established colours in the room!

Hey Jinkx,

I believe the in Wedderburn the walls are white, and the floors are blue. Most of our rooms in halls tend to have quite a neutral colour palette, so you have quite a lot of freedom in making it your own.

You can check out the rooms on our Virtual Tour here. Not only will it give you an idea of colours, but is also great for planning your decor and what to bring along. I know when I was getting ready to move in, I hours on there and Pinterest trying to work out how I would decorate. (I would note that not all the rooms share the same layout!)

:smile: Summer
hey! I was just wondering what make the desk chairs are in the Gowar and Wedderburn rooms, or what their size dimensions are? I'm planning to get a cover for mine (granted that is allowed, of course) :smile: thank you!
Original post by qalaxies
hey! I was just wondering what make the desk chairs are in the Gowar and Wedderburn rooms, or what their size dimensions are? I'm planning to get a cover for mine (granted that is allowed, of course) :smile: thank you!

Hi qalaxies,

Covers are allowed, but I don't think I can guarantee an exact chair size. I would definitely recommend waiting until you move in before ordering one so you can measure the chair that's in your room.

Susana :smile:
Hi qalaxies,

Covers are allowed, but I don't think I can guarantee an exact chair size. I would definitely recommend waiting until you move in before ordering one so you can measure the chair that's in your room.

Susana :smile:

great, thank you so much!
Not sure if you can still ask questions here, but I have a few about Founder's...
- For the 30 week contract, how do term dates align with the moving out of the room, do you have to move out and still take classes but find somewhere else to live, or do they line up pretty well?
- Does the clock tower of Founder's ring every hour on the hour or is it stopped at night? I don't want to be woken in the middle of the night to the sound of ringing.
- Do you have to remain on your level that you live on or are you allowed to explore a little? It certainly looks like the sort of building that could surprise you.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 46
Hey, if I applied for accommodation on the 17th August after accepting Royal Holloway which was my insurance offer, do you know how long it will take to get a response?
Reply 47
Original post by raysofsunshine
Not sure if you can still ask questions here, but I have a few about Founder's...
- For the 30 week contract, how do term dates align with the moving out of the room, do you have to move out and still take classes but find somewhere else to live, or do they line up pretty well?
- Does the clock tower of Founder's ring every hour on the hour or is it stopped at night? I don't want to be woken in the middle of the night to the sound of ringing.
- Do you have to remain on your level that you live on or are you allowed to explore a little? It certainly looks like the sort of building that could surprise you.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, I'm not sure about the other questions but I think 30 week contracts just don't take into account holidays like Christmas etc. A 38 week contract means that yin don't have to pack up your room when you leave for the holidays. Either contract doesn't affect term times. I'm not 100% sure tho
In the pantry at Founders you can share with up to 25 people. Is there enough room in the fridge for potentially 25 people to hold limited supplies, such as milk & yogurt and is there a good etiquette for not having too many others 'sharing' (helping themselves) to your stuff?
Original post by raysofsunshine

Thanks in advance!

Hi RaysofSunshine,

For the 30 week contract, the move in and out dates will always align with term dates. For example, if term ends on a Friday you will be expected to move out by 10am on the Saturday. If you need to arrange for this to be a bit later (by 12 for example), you can chat with the accommodation team before the day to arrange this. Similarly, move in will generally be the Sunday before a Monday start of term.

That's a great question about Founder's clock! I believe it does ring throughout the night, but I've had friends who have lived in rooms right next to the clock tower and not been disturbed.

You don't have to remain on your level - you're free to explore and visit friends on other levels. Founder's really is the kind of building that can surprise you - one of my housemates didn't even realise that there were two quads for the first few weeks of term.

I hope that helps - if you do have any more questions, let me know!

Original post by quebec9804
In the pantry at Founders you can share with up to 25 people. Is there enough room in the fridge for potentially 25 people to hold limited supplies, such as milk & yogurt and is there a good etiquette for not having too many others 'sharing' (helping themselves) to your stuff?

Hi Quebec,

There should be enough room in the pantry fridges for everyone to have some bits in there. In terms of the etiquette, I think this really depends on the group you're living with. Some students may choose to only take meals in the Dining Hall, including breakfast and so won't need milk etc, whereas others may want more things in there. You will also have your own cupboard to store other bits.

From my own experiences on living in catered Halls (I lived in Reid), I tended to avoid buying too many items that needed storing in the fridge because I generally found that I would forget about the things I had in the fridge and that the Dining Hall or Store on Campus had everything I needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Original post by LoDMR
Hey, if I applied for accommodation on the 17th August after accepting Royal Holloway which was my insurance offer, do you know how long it will take to get a response?

Hey LoDMR,

I believe our team aims to respond to applications in 5 working days. I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on your emails, as you will have 5 days to respond to their offer once it comes through. Which Halls do you most like the look of?

I hope that helps!

Summer :smile:
Reply 52
Hey LoDMR,

I believe our team aims to respond to applications in 5 working days. I would definitely recommend keeping an eye on your emails, as you will have 5 days to respond to their offer once it comes through. Which Halls do you most like the look of?

I hope that helps!

Summer :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I Iiked the look of Tuke, Reid and Runnymede but unfortunately I got an offer for Kingswood 2 which was my 8th choice. I've heard some really bad reviews about it, prob because its quite a distance from campus.
Original post by LoDMR
Thanks for the reply. I Iiked the look of Tuke, Reid and Runnymede but unfortunately I got an offer for Kingswood 2 which was my 8th choice. I've heard some really bad reviews about it, prob because its quite a distance from campus.

Hi LoDMR,

I’m sorry to hear you are unsure of your allocated hall, but I hope my insight can help! I lived in Kingswood 2 in first year and it was one of the best parts of my university experience. I wouldn't have chosen to stay in any of the other Halls.

Kingswood was my number one choice because of its location. Though the distance between the main campus and Kingswood is miniscule, it was enough to create its own community. Having our own dining hall, bar (including pool table), laundry and social space meant that we had everything on our doorstep. I had never been to England before, so having the Kingswood community definitely helped me feel at home as soon as I arrived. Living in Kingswood is so great because you get the Kingswood community and campus community for the price of one! The bus service is free and runs every 30 minutes between 8am 7pm and every hour between 9:15pm - 12:15am and then the SSHH Bus runs on some evenings until quite late. During the warmer months, I would often walk between my classes and Kingswood, which only takes around 20 minutes. It was also great knowing that I didn't have to move my things out of my room between every holiday and could be more flexible with going home.

Even though Kingswood wasn’t your first choice, I would definitely recommend going in with an open mind. University is all about new experiences and you may end up loving it as much as I did!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about Kingswood or anything else as I’m happy to help.

Susana : )
Hello, I have accepted an accommodation offer for wedderburn as was wondering if you could tell me about what the accommodation is like (e.g. location e.c.t) and anything I should know before I move in, more things you learn from living in this hall.

Thank you.
Original post by Kieran.1234
Hello, I have accepted an accommodation offer for wedderburn as was wondering if you could tell me about what the accommodation is like (e.g. location e.c.t) and anything I should know before I move in, more things you learn from living in this hall.

Thank you.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/studyhere/accommodation/living-in-halls/undergraduate-halls/gowarandwedderburnhalls.aspx

Is there anything not covered in here that you're curious about?
Reply 56
Thanks. That was really reassuring and now I'm actually looking forward to it!
I'm in Runnymede 2 and I was wondering if I should bring my own over the door full length mirror?
Original post by polaroidfilms
I'm in Runnymede 2 and I was wondering if I should bring my own over the door full length mirror?

Hi Polaroidfilms,

Most Halls do have a full length mirror inside the wardrobe door, so you won't need to bring this along.

Reply 59
Hi Summer, I'll be in Wedderburn and I'm just wondering about taking a TV, and whether it would work in terms of space. Do you know many people who have taken one to RH?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending