Silhouette_A
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I need to do biology to be able to do the degree I want I the future however I'm scared about the workload it would come along with and that the material would be difficult. Also it doesn't help that I'm would be taking history along with it. I want honest opinions please!
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jayden_Marks)
I need to do biology to be able to do the degree I want I the future however I'm scared about the workload it would come along with and that the material would be difficult. Also it doesn't help that I'm would be taking history along with it. I want honest opinions please!
For me it is the hardest science, the volume of content is large and when you get to the exams they don't even test you on it, you just get a load of application and suggest questions.
Dan11235
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My honest opinion is that biology is the hardest Alevel I do. I'm also doing chemistry and maths, physics at AS and did further maths but dropped out when I found out I didn't need to do it for Medicine. Biology's content is challenging but not incredibly hard, however, the main component is pure volume of content.
Silhouette_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
For me it is the hardest science, the volume of content is large and when you get to the exams they don't even test you on it, you just get a load of application and suggest questions.
Really! I've heard the the content is quite heavy but for the exam not to test you on some of them,
now that's just annoying. Thank you for replying
c0upd3tat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no
c0upd3tat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes
c0upd3tat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yesno
c0upd3tat
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
maybe
Frank Peters
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, I think It is. From personal experience and being a person who is doing a level biology.

It is torture.

The reasons why i believe this is because you have to learn a lot of content. AND ontop of that, you need to be able to apply and manipulate knowledge during exams.

If I could go back in time, I wouldve done physics because biology is not worth it. Really, we learn uncessary stuff like ion channels and surface of memebranes.

Please think about this wisely. It is not a subject that you just think about doing
Frank Peters
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Really! I've heard the the content is quite heavy but for the exam not to test you on some of them,
now that's just annoying. Thank you for replying

This is so true, Im currently doing a level biology and I approve of this
Silhouette_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dan11235)
My honest opinion is that biology is the hardest Alevel I do. I'm also doing chemistry and maths, physics at AS and did further maths but dropped out when I found out I didn't need to do it for Medicine. Biology's content is challenging but not incredibly hard, however, the main component is pure volume of content.
The difficulty really say something when you rank Biology harder than Chemistry. Damn...
Silhouette_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frank Peters)
Yes, I think It is. From personal experience and being a person who is doing a level biology.

It is torture.

The reasons why i believe this is because you have to learn a lot of content. AND ontop of that, you need to be able to apply and manipulate knowledge during exams.

If I could go back in time, I wouldve done physics because biology is not worth it. Really, we learn uncessary stuff like ion channels and surface of memebranes.

Please think about this wisely. It is not a subject that you just think about doing
My goodness it sounds like hell! Thank you, it's really helpfully to have an opinion from a person that's doing the actual subject rather then a teacher who over glorifies the simplicity of A- Level Biology when it really isn't but they do so just so you would take the subject -_-
Frank Peters
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My goodness it sounds like hell! Thank you, it's really helpfully to have an opinion from a person that's doing the actual subject rather then a teacher who over glorifies the simplicity of A- Level Biology when it really isn't but they do so just so you would take the subject -_-
Yeah, if I were to sum up to course it would be

30% interesting stuff
40% pure bul**it
20% examiners putting out twisting exam questions
10% crying

the disadvantages weigh more than the advantages, I would recommend chemistry or physics instead of biology tbh
alldaydreaming
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with the others above in terms of the workload - there is SOO much content to revise and so much detail. Especially now A-levels are linear. But if you need it for something you'd like to do in the future, it's probably worth it. I picked Biology because I loved it - there is some really interesting content but, as with any course, there's some really pointless and boring stuff too. It's your call - don't base it off workload alone because if you enjoy it/need it, you're basically forced to learn it anyway. Base your decision on whether you feel it's something YOU are capable of - ask your teacher if you could just have a flick through the textbook and see for yourself if it seems too much
It is a LOT but it's not impossible *tries to reassure self*
kiiten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally i find biology hard but despite agreeing with the others here its not impossible (also some people exaggerate how hard it is).

Everyone is different, if you want to do biology you should do it. You might find it easier than other subjects whilst some people dont. I have a friend who finds biology a lot easier than chemistry and maths.

Good luck
OshG
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I enjoy biology(+Maths) the most out of my Alevels (Chem, Bio, Maths and Psychology)
Ngl Biology has a lot of content to learn, but lets be honest every single A Level has more than something to learn ! It's just about how much effort you're willing to put, pre-reading and summary notes will help you a lot!!
Pre-reading- you go into the lesson actually knowing what is what and get a better knowledge of the topic
summary notes- you add more details, so when you look back at it.. you'll get it better

The fact that it is a requirement for your degree just shows that there will be aspects of Biology in your degree, so only choose it if you're willing to and have the interest to study Biology for more than two years for sure !

All the best and hope it all works out
JickDee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
biology is a lot of effort, you need to work harder than in physics/chemistry as there is just so much more content. if you are good at maths, physics is much, much easier and less work than biology at a-level. but you say that biology is required for your degree so you should take it. you'll just have to work hard to memorise a bunch of stuff and end up using less than 10% of it in the exam
Dan11235
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The difficulty really say something when you rank Biology harder than Chemistry. Damn...
My advice would be that if you need to do it for a degree then you should, yes it's hard and there's a lot to learn but I think if you stay on top of it then you'll be fine. I think chemistry was the hardest science at GCSE but it becomes the easiest at A level. Biology is only challenging due to content and if you make notes as you go and continuously revise and think synoptically you should do quite well. You would also be competing against others who are also struggling with content volume and therefore if you put the work in where they don't you'll come out with a good grade even if you don't get like full marks
Silhouette_A
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dan11235)
My advice would be that if you need to do it for a degree then you should, yes it's hard and there's a lot to learn but I think if you stay on top of it then you'll be fine. I think chemistry was the hardest science at GCSE but it becomes the easiest at A level. Biology is only challenging due to content and if you make notes as you go and continuously revise and think synoptically you should do quite well. You would also be competing against others who are also struggling with content volume and therefore if you put the work in where they don't you'll come out with a good grade even if you don't get like full marks
Yeah you're right. I shouldn't be afraid of the workload and if I just work hard on the topic then I can secure the top marks.
Thanks for replying
theboss1738
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just did a specimen paper from OCR for mocks, half the paper is impossible but the grade boundaries are low
I recommend taking chemistry over it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads