Louberforce
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I have started buying stuff to bring to Uni when I go in September this year (Brighton Uni) but I am not 100% sure on some things. Do i need an office chair? Should I bring my PHAT gaming PC or buying a new laptop with my savings? TV? Lava Lamps? i know they need to be safety checked but how do I go about that and does it cost? How many sets of clothing should I bring? What about extension leads? Thanks!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Louberforce)
So I have started buying stuff to bring to Uni when I go in September this year (Brighton Uni) but I am not 100% sure on some things. Do i need an office chair? Should I bring my PHAT gaming PC or buying a new laptop with my savings? TV? Lava Lamps? i know they need to be safety checked but how do I go about that and does it cost? How many sets of clothing should I bring? What about extension leads? Thanks!
check your specific halls but most with desks will have chairs with them, check what the networks like to see if its worth bringing your gaming pc. If you've more than 2 plugs then i dont think you ll need an extension lead and have never heard of anyone safety checking their electrics for halls. Personally i took all of my clothes to uni so i was prepared for all weathers and didnt go out and buy clothes too often.
unillama
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
gaming console is something i would take but not a wise choice, could get distracted,
new laptop is good. lava lamps is a must....clothes....all of the lot lolz

Louberforce
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
check your specific halls but most with desks will have chairs with them, check what the networks like to see if its worth bringing your gaming pc. If you've more than 2 plugs then i dont think you ll need an extension lead and have never heard of anyone safety checking their electrics for halls. Personally i took all of my clothes to uni so i was prepared for all weathers and didnt go out and buy clothes too often.
Thank you, yeah about the test thing - https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/safety/...nt%20(PAT).pdf - Brighton has MASSIVE regulations on electrical equipment.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you, yeah about the test thing - https://staff.brighton.ac.uk/safety/...nt%20(PAT).pdf - Brighton has MASSIVE regulations on electrical equipment.
Oh I ve not come across that before I can't imagine pat testing is cheap though
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
Except if you read it, that only applies to uni departmental equipment.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You usually can't bring furniture, but see what the chair is like. If it's massively uncomfortable, then they might be amenable to your changing it for something (the old 'elf n safety/occupational health trick).

As for the rest - you need to bring as much stuff as you think you're going to need for a term (assuming you're going home during the holidays). So a gaming PC will be useful so you've got your own computer, rather than having to use the uni/college ones, but will it be too distracting? I'd take it, personally. Do you have a printer? They're very useful.

I'd bring several of those extension leads which terminate in several sockets - a couple of 4-gang or even 6-gang one should be fine. I know that they say about PAT testing electrical equipment, but I've never actually seen it be done - just that it's in your accommodation license. Perhaps they're much more strict about things like this now. As for the rest - lots of clothes appropriate to the season, sports gear and equipment. Thousands of pants and socks to save endless washing. Ditto with bedding, unless it comes with your room - if you have several sets of duvet covers, sheets and pillowcases it saves you having to do washing very regularly.

Finally, kitchen equipment. If you're self-catering (or have these facilities at your disposal), then you need to bring the basics to enable you to prepare meals if you want/need to. I wont' go into details here, but if this is relevant reply back and I'll let you know what I personally would take.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It might vary by university but those that have PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) requirements usually test the appliances for you when you arrive. For free.
mollyanne98
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,
You’ll need to look on your halls website to find out about the office chair but most halls will provide you with one. For my course, I really needed a new, faster laptop so that was the priority for me and also meant I didn’t need to bring a TV as I can do everything I need on my laptop but of course, this depends on what you will be doing. Lava lamp is obviously personal preference but it is nice to have some colourful things in your room as halls can be quite plain. I didn’t have to have any of my electricals safety checked so I’m not sure about that one, if your halls have said they require it, maybe contact them and see if they have any companies they’d recommend to do it for you. I brought all my clothes with me, there was way more storage in my room than I was expecting so maybe pack light and then you can always bring more stuff from home late room if you realise you have the space for it. I found it useful to have an extension lead just because there were no plugs next to my bed for charging my phone overnight but you could quite easily get by without one (there’s 6 plug sockets around my room).
Hope this helps,
Molly
ChapelHeightsDurham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It might be worth visiting the accommodation prior to check in to see what you get or email the site staff & ask them the number of plug sockets etc (you will have to make an appointment to go and see them prior).

Usually if you buy a TV, Laptop etc brand new & it complies with UK safety standards they do not need pat testing until they are 1 year old (so keep receipts), however as said above all universities are different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.05%
I'm not sure (27)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.4%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.15%
I'm not a current university student (290)
47.93%

Watched Threads