Programming request

Watch this thread
EternalLight
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I doubt anyone can be bothered to do this for me, don't worry it's not coursework, just a personal thing but if you can be bothered that would be great.

Would anyone be willing to create a little app in whatever language you prefer which has 2 clocks. T is the time of a stationary observer, T' is the time of an observer moving with velocity.

T for the stationary observer would not be adjustable.
T' for the moving observer should change based on the velocity of the observer.

The clocks should be side by side with a slider underneath to drag and adjust the velocity of the observer which will cause clock T' to change according to the relevant equations which I will provide. A value box to type in the velocity in miles per second would be nice as well.

If you want to go the extra mile or just want a challenge. Can you add a picture of a plank of wood or some other object with a little bit of length and make it adjust it's length based on the velocity of the observer, I'll provide the equations.

If nobody wants to do this I understand but I thought I'd ask.
TheProphetsPath
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
My bro that's so extra lmao. I'm sure there is a graphic simulator somewhere, just try search for it.
EternalLight
Rep:
(Original post by TheProphetsPath)
My bro that's so extra lmao. I'm sure there is a graphic simulator somewhere, just try search for it.
"my sis" I've searched... I cannot find one. Feel free to search for me :P
study beats
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AishaGirl)
I doubt anyone can be bothered to do this for me, don't worry it's not coursework, just a personal thing but if you can be bothered that would be great.

Would anyone be willing to create a little app in whatever language you prefer which has 2 clocks. T is the time of a stationary observer, T' is the time of an observer moving with velocity.

T for the stationary observer would not be adjustable.
T' for the moving observer should change based on the velocity of the observer.

The clocks should be side by side with a slider underneath to drag and adjust the velocity of the observer which will cause clock T' to change according to the relevant equations which I will provide. A value box to type in the velocity in miles per second would be nice as well.

If you want to go the extra mile or just want a challenge. Can you add a picture of a plank of wood or some other object with a little bit of length and make it adjust it's length based on the velocity of the observer, I'll provide the equations.

If nobody wants to do this I understand but I thought I'd ask.
wow, what is this for?
EternalLight
Rep:
(Original post by study beats)
wow, what is this for?
Just a personal little project I'd like.
coupdet4t
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
No one is going to do this for free. If you're serious about it there are places you can pay people to make it for you.
EternalLight
Rep:
(Original post by coupdet4t)
No one is going to do this for free. If you're serious about it there are places you can pay people to make it for you.
Well it was worth asking, maybe someone would like the challenge, maybe I'll ask on dream in code, can't be bothered making an account though, sigh.
FickleMind
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Name:  space.png
Views: 64
Size:  2.7 KB

Not sure how to manipulate DateTime objects (this is C#), so might not be able to finish it. What are the equations and I will give it a try?
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
To get started: download an IDE (eclipse, Android studio, visual studio, Xcode for iOS)
Most of what you describe can be represented by widgets like Slider, EditText and so on. Except the clocks, you'll probably need external libraries to find a "ClockView" or whatever it's called, or just make one yourself
And then there's all the testing before the app can be published. Don't worry OP, it seems like a nice idea of yours that you can even make a profit out of if you know how to code.
username2877554
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FickleMind)

Not sure how to manipulate DateTime objects (this is C#), so might not be able to finish it. What are the equations and I will give it a try?
Wow well done, that was quick!

If you didn't get to finish it, I can help with either VB or C#
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Found this, You'll have to download the analogue clocks and run the java file which will open the app, but it looks like what you're searching for

http://cnqo.phys.strath.ac.uk/people...s-for-schools/
FickleMind
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Steljoy)
Wow well done, that was quick!

If you didn't get to finish it, I can help with either VB or C#
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ocjoti1ia...ivity.zip?dl=0

Feel free to download and make any additions.
username2877554
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Feel free to download and make any additions.
Many thanks, I'll download it tomorrow when I get on my laptop.

What IDE is it written in? Visual studio?
FickleMind
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Steljoy)
Many thanks, I'll download it tomorrow when I get on my laptop.

What IDE is it written in? Visual studio?
yes, 2015 version
EternalLight
Rep:

That was quick. The time dilation should be calculated as t\prime = \frac{t}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} so when both observers are stationary, their clocks are exactly the same. Then when the observer accelerates, their clock slows down according to that equation.

So for example if t\prime is the stationary clock and t (the moving observer) is moving at say 80% the speed of light then 1 second will be t\prime = \frac{1sec}{\sqrt{(\frac{.8c}{c})^2}} which is simply 1-.64=.36 and plugging this back in is \frac{1sec}{\sqrt{.36}}=\frac{1sec}{.6}=1.67sec

So the moving observers clock ticks 1 second for every 1.67seconds of the stationary one. It's a bit confusing but if you can't be bothered that's fine, I think Ruthless Dutchman linked exactly what I'm looking for.

But go ahead and give it a try if you want to challenge your programming skills
EternalLight
Rep:
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
Found this, You'll have to download the analogue clocks and run the java file which will open the app, but it looks like what you're searching for

http://cnqo.phys.strath.ac.uk/people...s-for-schools/
Thanks I'll have a look.
FickleMind
Rep:
Report 5 years ago

Slightly better version with the lorentz transform (i hope it's accurate, not much happens to the time dilation until you reach near the speed of light where it goes up to 300+ seconds added on per second for 1 mile per second under lightspeed). Needs the time converted into a nicer format rather than just seconds.

After that we need ANIMATIONS
EternalLight
Rep:

Slightly better version with the lorentz transform (i hope it's accurate, not much happens to the time dilation until you reach near the speed of light where it goes up to 300+ seconds added on per second for 1 mile per second under lightspeed). Needs the time converted into a nicer format rather than just seconds.

After that we need ANIMATIONS
I wish I could rep you more. Not only was that very quick but it works just fine. The only adjustment I'd say should be included is that when the speed of the observer is the speed of light, the clock should stop ticking.

I ran a few test speeds and it seems to be accurate so good job on the calculations too.

I think I can make the necessary adjustments myself just from looking at the code.

Thanks dude I really appreciate it

not much happens to the time dilation until you reach near the speed of light where it goes up to 300+ seconds added on per second for 1 mile per second under lightspeed
I'm sure you know this but that means for every 1 second of stationary observer, 300 seconds pass for the moving observer (relative of course).

If it takes 5 seconds roughly to drink a glass of water and Imagine if you could look at an observer moving at that speed, he would take, relative to you, 25 minutes to drink that glass of water.

It's so freaking cool!
FickleMind
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AishaGirl)
I wish I could rep you more. Not only was that very quick but it works just fine. The only adjustment I'd say should be included is that when the speed of the observer is the speed of light, the clock should stop ticking.

I ran a few test speeds and it seems to be accurate so good job on the calculations too.

I think I can make the necessary adjustments myself just from looking at the code.

Thanks dude I really appreciate it

I'm sure you know this but that means for every 1 second of stationary observer, 300 seconds pass for the moving observer (relative of course).

It takes 5 seconds roughly to drink a glass of water. Imagine if you could look at an observer moving at that speed, he would take, relative to you, 25 minutes to drink that glass of water.

It's so freaking cool!
Thanks for the idea! My course doesn't give me enough to do, so it made my night less boring.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
43.34%
Not yet, but I will soon (56)
17.34%
No (127)
39.32%

Watched Threads