Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what A-levels you have to have to take to do psychology at uni?? please someone help i have been asking everyon and they don't have a clue! Thanx :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vicki_87)
    Does anyone know what A-levels you have to have to take to do psychology at uni?? please someone help i have been asking everyon and they don't have a clue! Thanx :rolleyes:
    I'd have thought they'd prefer applicants to study at least one Science based subject, but I guess it depends where you want to study. Try doing a course search on UCAS:
    http://www.ucas.com/search/index.html

ReputationRep:
    Most unis don't have any specific requirements, although some of the more respected ones do require a science subject (Biology and Maths are particularly relevent). Also its worth checking what each university classifies as a science subject - some will include Psychology in this list whilst others won't.

ReputationRep:
    you can apply for psych at uni with any A levels, you don't need to have studied a science subject, even oxford doesn't ask for one.

ReputationRep:
    I wouls presume that Maths would be helpful, even if it is not "required" as psychology involves quite a bit of statistics.

ReputationRep:
    hey.. hopefully doing psych.. most uni's say u dont need a science based subjest or even to have psych A level. sorry to correct someone but u def need biology though for oxford as its experimental pscy. n for UCL( i was offered a place there) they say u need a science but if u can prove your a strong candidate like i did cos im doing psych and geo they might offer u a high place.. hope this helps..
    any more queries pm me

xPx

oo i forget u need normally at least a B in gcse maths if u want to study a BSC rather than a BA

Most places don't really care as long as you got a decent/good set of grades (depending on where you apply).

Most BSc's require at least one sciencey ALevel whereas BA's tend not to care overly much.

When I applied, I found that they didn't care too much as long as I met their grades because I did quite a varied combination of A-Levels. You don't even need to have studied psychology as an ALevel to do it at degree!

I'll warn you now though that if you have applied to the more "top" places for psych (like I did), then apply early because otherwise you've got no chance (why I assume I got rejected from Notts Uni esp when half the ppl in my yr who did worse than me and had a weaker personal statement got a place!! -My tutor got my application held up somewhat(!)) and expect grade boundaries to go up as many of the other good places I applied to did, because they were simply oversuscribed.But all was well though, I got a place on the second best place to do psych in the country! Except now... I'm gonna turn it down. I must be insane. lol

Hope that helps.

Skye

ReputationRep:
    I'M DOING PSYCHOLOGY AND HUMAN BIOLOGY REALLY HELPS! ALSO PSYCHOLOGY AND SOCIOLOGY WOULD BE REALLY GOO. i'D REALLY RECOMMEND HUMAN BIOLOGY BUT DOUBLE CHECK WITH ADMISSION WEBSITES

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pippa)
    sorry to correct someone but u def need biology though for oxford as its experimental pscy. n for UCL( i was offered a place there) they say u need a science but if u can prove your a strong candidate like i did cos im doing psych and geo they might offer u a high place.. hope this helps..
    any more queries pm me
    i think it depends which oxford college you apply to. i applied to new college and you definately didn't need a science to study psych theiralthough i know a friend who applied to st johns and did need a science subject.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.