The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance?

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what my chances are when applying to a Masters program, based on my grades from my first and second year at University. I underwent some pretty serious circumstances and personal issues which lead to me taking a year out in between first and second, and now i'm on track after receiving a 3rd in my first year, and a low 2:2 in my second year to now achieve somewhere in the region of a low 2:1. Will this handicap me when applying to Unis such as LSE and UCL, even though the programs I am interested in the European Institute courses at LSE or at UCL, which aren't heavily subscribed and highly competitive i.e. Economics @ LSE or an LLM.

I'm currently at a good Uni, studying Law at Nottingham, with some work experience on my CV, society involvement etc
If its worth noting I am also an international student who is not looking for funding in the form of bursaries or scholarships.

Thanks and would love to hear what you guys have to say!
Reply 1
Original post by chelseafc655
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what my chances are when applying to a Masters program, based on my grades from my first and second year at University. I underwent some pretty serious circumstances and personal issues which lead to me taking a year out in between first and second, and now i'm on track after receiving a 3rd in my first year, and a low 2:2 in my second year to now achieve somewhere in the region of a low 2:1. Will this handicap me when applying to Unis such as LSE and UCL, even though the programs I am interested in the European Institute courses at LSE or at UCL, which aren't heavily subscribed and highly competitive i.e. Economics @ LSE or an LLM.

I'm currently at a good Uni, studying Law at Nottingham, with some work experience on my CV, society involvement etc
If its worth noting I am also an international student who is not looking for funding in the form of bursaries or scholarships.

Thanks and would love to hear what you guys have to say!

If you meet the entry requirements, then you have a chance. If you're unsure if you'd be suitable, then you could always contact the Admissions department for your university and speak to them - be sure to highlight the personal issues. You can do this over the phone or through email. Obviously they can't 100% guarantee you'd be accepted, but they would be able to provide you information as to wether it'd be worth your time applying. Definitely be sure to mention your work experience and other relevant activities as well.

LSE: Master's degree Entry Requirements:
"A first or upper second class honours (2:1) degree from a UK university or a non-UK equivalent in a subject appropriate to the programme to be followed."

UCL: Master's programmes (except MRes), Postgraduate Diplomas and Postgraduate Certificates Entry Requirements:
"A first or second-class UK Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate subject, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard from a recognised higher education institution. A small number of programmes require the GMAT or GRE General Test. For some taught programmes, applicants whose qualifications are of a lower standard may be admitted if they can demonstrate an appropriate academic background and experience in the relevant field. Applicants may be required to pass a qualifying examination, or pass a qualifying year of a Graduate Diploma, before being registered in to the corresponding Master’s programme."
Thats true, I will be sure to highlight those issues, but is it better to do that in the personal statement, or rather as you suggested, tell the admissions department?

I will be sure to do so, thank you so much for your assistance

Original post by EmmaCx
If you meet the entry requirements, then you have a chance. If you're unsure if you'd be suitable, then you could always contact the Admissions department for your university and speak to them - be sure to highlight the personal issues. You can do this over the phone or through email. Obviously they can't 100% guarantee you'd be accepted, but they would be able to provide you information as to wether it'd be worth your time applying. Definitely be sure to mention your work experience and other relevant activities as well.

LSE: Master's degree Entry Requirements:
"A first or upper second class honours (2:1) degree from a UK university or a non-UK equivalent in a subject appropriate to the programme to be followed."

UCL: Master's programmes (except MRes), Postgraduate Diplomas and Postgraduate Certificates Entry Requirements:
"A first or second-class UK Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate subject, or an overseas qualification of an equivalent standard from a recognised higher education institution. A small number of programmes require the GMAT or GRE General Test. For some taught programmes, applicants whose qualifications are of a lower standard may be admitted if they can demonstrate an appropriate academic background and experience in the relevant field. Applicants may be required to pass a qualifying examination, or pass a qualifying year of a Graduate Diploma, before being registered in to the corresponding Master’s programme."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending