The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Should I apply for English at Durham?

I'm a Year Twelve student and I'm currently studying: English Literature, History and Religious Studies.
Durham's English course is my favourite so far and after talking to students attending it's my number one choice to apply to.
So far, we've only had one set of predicted grades and mine were: AAA but my teachers are harsh so no one got an A* yet. However, I've been getting really good grades with assessments so I definitely think it's possible.
For GCSE, I got: 4 A*s, 2 As and 4 Bs. I heard from other forums that, particularly for Durham's English course, they require a minimum of 6 A*s. On others they've said it's 8.
So I know a lot of people ask this, but should I apply if they're not going to consider my GCSEs or set my sights elsewhere?
Original post by Arrowinabow777
I'm a Year Twelve student and I'm currently studying: English Literature, History and Religious Studies.
Durham's English course is my favourite so far and after talking to students attending it's my number one choice to apply to.
So far, we've only had one set of predicted grades and mine were: AAA but my teachers are harsh so no one got an A* yet. However, I've been getting really good grades with assessments so I definitely think it's possible.
For GCSE, I got: 4 A*s, 2 As and 4 Bs. I heard from other forums that, particularly for Durham's English course, they require a minimum of 6 A*s. On others they've said it's 8.
So I know a lot of people ask this, but should I apply if they're not going to consider my GCSEs or set my sights elsewhere?

If it's your number one choice then you should absolutely apply. Your predicted grades are not be-all and end-all, your grades are high and there's a chance that you will get an A*, so apply and see. Everybody should have at least one 'reach' choice on their UCAS application. It's not true that Durham require a minimum number of A*s at GCSE.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have 2A*s 5As 4Bs and I'm going to apply for English too. I asked a Durham rep at a UCAS exhibition and they said GCSEs don't play much of a role but rather your personal statement and predicted grades will matter more. My careers adviser at school also said that Durham was gettable with my grades, so I think you should definitely apply and if you do well in whatever AS exams you have this year and have a good statement you'll probably get an offeer.
Original post by Ymes1
I have 2A*s 5As 4Bs and I'm going to apply for English too. I asked a Durham rep at a UCAS exhibition and they said GCSEs don't play much of a role but rather your personal statement and predicted grades will matter more. My careers adviser at school also said that Durham was gettable with my grades, so I think you should definitely apply and if you do well in whatever AS exams you have this year and have a good statement you'll probably get an offeer.

Thank you so much! I should probably contact Durham soon as well and I plan to go to the open day, but hearing that is useful. Well done with your GCSEs by the way! You got exactly the same as my best friend :smile:
I'll have to work on my personal statement. Unfortunately I have trouble knowing what to write and what to leave out to appear interesting. It's good to know they view that more highly though.
Unfortunately I'm doing the new A-Level system so I won't have any AS levels. I wish they didn't change it, but I guess it rests on my predicted grades.
I hope you get a place at Durham! Their English course looks so good. And thank you for your reply.
Original post by Snufkin
If it's your number one choice then you should absolutely apply. Your predicted grades are not be-all and end-all, your grades are high and there's a chance that you will get an A*, so apply and see. Everybody should have at least one 'reach' choice on their UCAS application. It's not true that Durham require a minimum number of A*s at GCSE.

Thank you for replying! It's a relief to know that they don't require a minimum number of A*s, but I'll still work hard to try and get in!
And that's very true. I have other universities I could apply to and be happy in but there's no harm in trying to get into Durham, which will have stiffer competition.
Thank you! I'll try not to stress about it :smile:
Go for it! I got an offer for chemistry (A*AA - & now study here) after them showing us a graph at the open day with 'number of GCSE A*s' and the corresponding offers - it was pretty much 6+ to stand a decent chance. I got 2A*s and got an offer. Regardless, if it's where you want to go please please apply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest