I have to prepare a debate on this.
    Help?

ReputationRep:
    for house debating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArianaChande)
    Help?
    What's the exact wording of the motion? Are you for or against it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    What's the exact wording of the motion? Are you for or against it?
    Id rather have lots of Syrian refugees here rather than bigoted Daily Mail, Sun or Channel 5 readers/ viewers which this country is full of. Bigots that have nothing but contempt for needy people, refugees, disabled, poor, foreigners, Europeans etc.

ReputationRep:
    Help?
    No. We have a severe housing crisis here in the UK, this is based on the supply and demand chain of housing- by importing syrian refugees we will add to the demand, may i state somewhat artifically add to the demand of UK housing, you can argue that we should build a lot more houses but based on the amount of nominal immigration we have it is unrealistic- if you calculate on current immigration we have to build an house every 5 minutes, something very difficult to do and something we have not done since the late 40's early 50's (not checked statistics) to cure the crisis we either have to build sufficient housing-hard or cut the demand for housing, easier by not allowing as many immigrants- this will then make buying houses cheaper for British born people. I have no doubt the SJW'S will be back at me on this one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobgoblin Dragon)
    No. We have a severe housing crisis here in the UK, this is based on the supply and demand chain of housing- by importing syrian refugees we will add to the demand, may i state somewhat artifically add to the demand of UK housing, you can argue that we should build a lot more houses but based on the amount of nominal immigration we have it is unrealistic- if you calculate on current immigration we have to build an house every 5 minutes, something very difficult to do and something we have not done since the late 40's early 50's (not checked statistics) to cure the crisis we either have to build sufficient housing-hard or cut the demand for housing, easier by not allowing as many immigrants- this will then make buying houses cheaper for British born people. I have no doubt the SJW'S will be back at me on this one!
    This is my belief as well. People are fine for opening up the country to undocumented refugees, but will then immediately criticise the Government for the housing crisis, which is incredibly hypocritical. I don't really mind having a limited stream of refugees who actually have skills and could be employable, but I don't support anything of the sort that Merkel and her lot have done.

ReputationRep:
    If I was the victim of an abusive relationship and decided I needed to get out of that household, do you know where would be my first port of call? Friends or family. It wouldn't be strangers, half way around the world, who I shared no culture with, didn't hold the same ideologies/religion as me, didn't speak the same language as me, and who's climate I wasn't accustomed to.

It's not about not helping people in need, but the practicalities of uprooting those people and shipping them around the world makes no sense. The same funds to bring a single refugee and support them in the UK could provide aid and support for several in a neighbouring country that would be a more realistic option for them to integrate into.

So why is there the pressure to bring them to strange and foreign lands? It doesn't seem to be about doing the right thing by either the refugees or the population they are attempting to integrate them with as can be seen from the state of the ghetto-like suburbs in Sweden where the refugees are suffering from a failure to integrate and the indigenous population are suffering increases in crime and higher burden on welfare. How is that a better situation than if they had just applied political pressure and supplied aid to the neighbouring countries to accommodate those refugees?

ReputationRep:
    Help?
    If the refugee is a genuine refugee and hasn't crossed safe territories already without applying for asylum then yes, we have an obligation to take them in. However we should do all we can to help refugees neighbouring Syria where the vast majority are.

ReputationRep:
    No.

For their sake - it would be worse for them to live here. And worse for their country with the brain drain.

ReputationRep:
    Help?
    You can cite common sense, the Dublin convention, the fact they cease to be refugees once they have traveled through a safe country and the fact neighbours like Saudi have taken zero migrants even though they have 100000 air conditioned tents

You could cite the fact we are the second biggest aid contributor in the world. The fact we have a 60 billion deficit and people have hardships here to deal with

You could cite that the people haven't been asked if they want them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another thing to consider is that it cost around somewhere between 8 and 12 times more to bring refugee here and provide for them than in Jordan and the like so to let 1 in means leaving more to die that didn't have to.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Should you wait six months before applying for a graduate job?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.