The Student Room Group

Article: Which musical city are you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:woo: Birmingham!!!!
No Liverpool :moon:

There's a bunch of threads for various BIMM applicants in the Performing arts and music uni courses forum
Some of that is very questionable but not a bad write up.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

There's a bunch of threads for various BIMM applicants in the Performing arts and music uni courses forum

The thing about Liverpool music is , ever since the late 80s, it's been essentially a great, dark and light psychedelic pop ,complement to the more laid back funk or autobiographical nature of Manchester. The Farm, The La's, Cast, Space, The Lightning Seeds,The Coral, The Zutons. But maybe it's as if splitting them up from Madchester's Happy Mondays, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, New Order, James, Oasis, might make Liverpool chase southern progressive rock like Cambridge's Pink Floyd and Oxford's Radiohead. Which could destroy the late 80s / early 90s which would be bad.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
The thing about Liverpool music is , ever since the late 80s, it's been essentially a great, dark and light psychedelic pop ,complement to the more laid back funk or autobiographical nature of Manchester. The Farm, The La's, Space, The Lightning Seeds,The Coral, The Zutons. But maybe it's as if splitting them up from Madchester's Happy Mondays, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, James, Oasis, might make Liverpool chase southern psychedelic rock like Cambridge's Pink Floyd and Oxford's Radiohead. Which could destroy the late 80s / early 90s which would be bad.:smile:

Curious, have you ever been to Liverpool Psych Fest?
My two favourite genres are grime and house atm, so probably London.
Reply 7
Original post by hezzlington
Curious, have you ever been to Liverpool Psych Fest?

No but thanks for letting me know about it. 22-23 Sept 2017, the website says. 88 pounds for weekend. Would you say Liverpool's free festivals eg Smithdown Road Festival on 29 Apr-1 May 2017 are worth travelling from Teesside for?

Groovy Train by The Farm is so quintessentially 90s Liverpool. I love it. Great atmosphere to it thanks to the vocals too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Carcass are the only name you need to associate with Liverpool :lol:

Joking. There's loads of good bands. Resurgent metal scene. All good.
Hum... What about Liverpool? You know that place where those four people are from I forget their names..... THE BEATLES!!!
Original post by RetroDisco789
Hum... What about Liverpool? You know that place where those four people are from I forget their names..... THE BEATLES!!!

Aside from that one band, who else?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Aside from that one band, who else?

All the ones I mentioned plus Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Dead or Alive. A few other cult 80s bands plus 60s acts like The Merseybeats and Gerry and the Pacemakers. I wouldn't call their output as easy to define as Manchester's more funk/soul slant.
(edited 7 years ago)
:biggrin:
Guess im lowkey Brummy then, even though im from London. Simply for Sabbath, Zepplin and Priest I guess.
Original post by dylan_kadiwar
Guess im lowkey Brummy then, even though im from London. Simply for Sabbath, Zepplin and Priest I guess.

Good stuff mate we welcome you with open arms.

Are you into Napalm Death & Godflesh at all?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Good stuff mate we welcome you with open arms.

Are you into Napalm Death & Godflesh at all?

Cheers bud, haven't heard Godflesh at all sadly, and have only heard Scum from ND. What kind of stuff you into?
Original post by dylan_kadiwar
Cheers bud, haven't heard Godflesh at all sadly, and have only heard Scum from ND. What kind of stuff you into?

I dunno it's difficult to say, recently I've been into Funk & stuff like War, Funkadelic, Azymuth, Stevie Wonder and obviously Prince but I used to be big on Hip-Hop (got bored of it), have gone through Metal and Reggae phases too and a lot of stuff in between. I'll give most things a chance but I don't really like 'Indie' or Britpop except for a bit of Blur, really boring and I have no idea why it's so popular.

My favourite recent albums are Toto IV and ELO - Time if that helps. Favourite artist is/was Bowie & my favourite albums of the bands you named are Master of Reality, Physical Graffiti & Screaming for Vengeance.
Original post by Picnic1
The thing about Liverpool music is , ever since the late 80s, it's been essentially a great, dark and light psychedelic pop ,complement to the more laid back funk or autobiographical nature of Manchester. The Farm, The La's, Cast, Space, The Lightning Seeds,The Coral, The Zutons. But maybe it's as if splitting them up from Madchester's Happy Mondays, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Charlatans, New Order, James, Oasis, might make Liverpool chase southern progressive rock like Cambridge's Pink Floyd and Oxford's Radiohead. Which could destroy the late 80s / early 90s which would be bad.:smile:
But think about where the inspiration came from, the legacy of Liverpool's music compared to all of the above. Surely, that is worth accommodating into this list of "music cities"

Original post by PQ

Liverpool:cry2:
Original post by 04MR17
But think about where the inspiration came from, the legacy of Liverpool's music compared to all of the above. Surely, that is worth accommodating into this list of "music cities"

Liverpool:cry2:

They've left it off because it's an advert sponsored by BIMM and BIMM don't have any courses taught in Liverpool.

So it isn't so much a list of musical cities as BIMM locations :moon:
Original post by PQ
They've left it off because it's an advert sponsored by BIMM and BIMM don't have any courses taught in Liverpool.

So it isn't so much a list of musical cities as BIMM locations :moon:
Ah I see. So just an advertisement article.:rolleyes:

I feel compelled now to advertise LIPA....

Quick Reply

Latest