Turn on thread page Beta

Results Day 2004: Official Clearing Advice and Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    Clearing

What to do first
    OK; so you got your results and things might not have gone quite to plan. But all is not lost: you have Clearing!

Firstly, call both your universities that gave you offers: most universities will drop down a grade or two. So it's worth a try!

No luck? OK; then this is important, very important: drop everything and concentrate on getting a university place. Cancel all engagements for a few days. Remember - you need to get your place before someone else does!

If you become eligible for clearing (ie. you didn't meet your grades) UCAS will send you a Clearing Entry Form - you will recieve this soon after your results.

Once you get results, if you need to enter clearing, go straight home. On the way, buy a copy of the Independent.

Let's Find You A Place!

There are three different ways to find out which universities have places in your course.

1. Visit www.ucas.com. You'll have to dig out your old password! All the courses with vacancies will be listed on the UCAS website from August 14th at 00.01 am. You can search for courses by subject or by university or college.

2. The Independent Newspaper The independant will list all vacancies by course. The paper will issue updated lists every day untill the 18th of August. The Mirror will also have local listings (14th) and articles on the clearing process (15th-18th).

3. Call BBC Radio 1's Help line. They will have all the info there as well. The number is 0808 100 8000. You can speak in confidence to a careers advisor who has all the clearing details.

Call The University.

Call the university and get in touch with the revelevant admissions tutor. Keep trying untill you get a place!

More Advice

Check out the websites:
    www.ucas.com
    www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife
    www.ucas.com/wap/index/wml (wap)
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/clearing/
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,2341,00.html
    http://www.support4learning.org.uk/careers/clearing.htm
    http://education.independent.co.uk/higher/

Good luck everyone!

Post on this thread your experiences, advice and general discussion!

The thread will be unlocked when clearing opens!

ReputationRep:
    Right,

Best Mate has CCD. in Pe, English, Biology (not nesisarily that order, but its my guess)

wanted to do Psysiotherapy at Keele..needed BBB, they have now rejected her.

i know physiotherapy is in clearing - UWE and COVENTRY...but are they likely to take her grades. i dont actually want to ring the hotlines because that would be interfearing..which i dont want to do.

but basically i dont want to be telling her to ring up if theres no chance they'll take her.

so what other courses would be good for me to suggest.....

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    ah thats great news. i'll leave her calm down first...then force her to ring around. she could charm anyone...

there is stil hope!

thanks PQ your an angel.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Update: my best mates going to UWE to do OT

shes so happy!!!

and now shes nearer me!!!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    some advice pleaseeeeeee

i got my result in an ALevel, but they seem a bit low.
    i'm staying on at college anyway to finish off some alevels but wondering can i get my alevel remarked?

i'm in no hurry but should i go to my college soon and tell them i want a remark or just wait till i go back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    If there will be someone around at your college then get in touch ASAP so that they can start liaising with the exam board. Non-urgent remarks can take a while to sort out so the sooner things are in motion the better
    ok thanks.

I will take your advice and try tommorow, do you know how much ocr charges for a remark?

ReputationRep:
    just got a place to aberyswyth through clearing to study physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    just got a place to aberyswyth through clearing to study physics
    what about brunel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    what about brunel?
    the b******* rejected me
    cant they c im french....

ReputationRep:
    Do you have the number for Royal Holloway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Do you have the number for Royal Holloway?

Royal Holloway Clearing 2004
    Clearing Hotline : 01784 443883

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me out here

I missed out on my firm choice (Reading) and so automatically I am placed with my insurance choice (Oxford brookes). The problem is I dont really want to head off to Brookes and I would prefer to go through clearing to a better uni. How do I go about going through clearing from here? Will I have to ring Brookes and ask to be released from the course and so I will be free for clearing. But then how will I get hold of the clearing form?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    well, having spoken to my best mate properly now, it turns out its been quite a day for my old school.

Everyone who say biology didnt get their grades the A students all have C, the b students all have d..and so on. most have now ended up in clearing. the school is in chaos. this is probably due to the fact that they havnt had a teacher since before christmas....when he fell down the stairs and shattared his foot when his wife droped a wardrobe on him.

well just to carry on moaning, southampton...the evil people, told my best mate that they'd ring her back only if they were gonna accept her, so they expected her to sit and wait for an unlimited time, even weeks. not even with the decency to ring and tell her to look somewhere else. well shes not going there!

hehe, so it turns out shes now going to do a course that she originally applied for and pulled out of because they had taken over 7 months to reply and having been rejected from all the others wanted to get on with ucas extra!

what a funny old world!

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I'm here to look for some advice...

my results are:

A - Applied Maths [AS level]
    A - Physics [AS level]
    A - Design Technology: Graphics [AS level]
    A - Chemistry [AS level]
    C - General Studies [AS level]

anyone familiar with the universities in canada? i'm thinking of architecture, engineering, dentistry, medicine... which uni's would be good? well mcgill is in my list now...

ReputationRep:
    I just got a call today from The University of Liverpool offering me a place to do Geography

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley)
    I'm here to look for some advice...

my results are:

A - Applied Maths [AS level]
    A - Physics [AS level]
    A - Design Technology: Graphics [AS level]
    A - Chemistry [AS level]
    C - General Studies [AS level]

anyone familiar with the universities in canada? i'm thinking of architecture, engineering, dentistry, medicine... which uni's would be good? well mcgill is in my list now...
    You sound unsure about what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    i just got a place at swansea to do spanish through clearing! thanks for ur advice guys!

ReputationRep:
    Trying to get the low down on a uni v quickly?

http://www.studentfreestuff.com/UK_u...de/offers.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poowpoow)
    i just got a place at swansea to do spanish through clearing! thanks for ur advice guys!

Oh! I did my first degree at Swansea! the place rocks! Check out the Mumbles Mile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Oh! I did my first degree at Swansea! the place rocks! Check out the Mumbles Mile
    Is there no where, where you haven't studied?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.