Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to hand this essay in tomorrow at school and I need to know if I can make this better and how. LAso how do I finish off it and can I be helped with the end bit. Thankyou, David. Please PM me.

“Describe a way in which the acceleration of a ball, thrown vertically upwards and allowed to fall to the ground, could be measured experimentally.”

To measure the acceleration of a ball thrown upwards then allowed to fall to the ground we can use multiflash photography. We need a measuring stick that can reach the height the ball is intended to reach when thrown. It is also essential that we have a multiflash camera taking multiflash photographs at 10 flashes per second.
    The measuring stick is set up vertically to show a scale in the photographs. The multiflash camera is placed so that it can photograph both the ball and the full measuring stick. The camera is started and the ball is thrown vertically upwards and allowed to return to the ground. We would then process the photographs and get the measurements and times from the experiment.
    To find the acceleration it is best that we draw up our results for each photo in a table so they are easier to interpret. It is best to have three columns:
    Distance in centimetres
    Velocity in cm/s
    Change of velocity in cm/s
    It is likely that we would take separate accelerations for the ball going upwards and the ball falling downwards. Both are found in the same way as each other. We would first find the average change of velocity by adding up the separate changes of velocity and dividing them by the number of separate changes of velocity.
    e.g. 4+5+6+7+8
    5 v= 6

Lastly, we find the acceleration by

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that seems a good way to do it. One thing you may want to do is repeat the experiment several times to get a set of results and then take an average, or even do some more statistical work on it such as get a standard deviation around a mean.

ReputationRep:
    Still fniding the last bit on the equationing hard to complete.

ReputationRep:
    That seems fair enough, plot a velocity-time graph and take acceleration readings off a curve to that graph perhaps? Also remember to work in SI metres (I'm not sure if they'll have a go at you for that but I would keep to it!)

What part of the equations are you finding difficult? This is a standard SUVAT problem I assume?

Edit: Sorry, clearly it won't be a curve since the deceleration is constant! Plot a straight line through which is exactly the same as your numerical approach, it would make a graphical dimension to it though which might be appreciated.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.