The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle accommodation

I'm just about to firm my offer from Newcastle uni and am wanting to sort accommodation but dk where's best? Social and close to campus but still pretty comfortable, Any suggestions?
Reply 1
Here's some thoughts from me as a third year student...

Castle Leazes - I stayed here so I am a little biased but it was 100% the best choice I have made. Try and make sure you get a room with a communal area (ie. most of the self catered en suite rooms). Biggest accomodation, best people and best for parties. Lots of my friends used to come here for nights out so if you can get in then it's awesome! I wouldn't recommend the catering because the food was a bit hit and miss according to my friends. Equally, if you get put in a corridor room it can be a bit hard to meet people at the start.

Park Terrace - Close second to Leazes. I only visited twice for a night out but both times were awesome. Really close to Uni and the accommodation is all new (some of the Leazes rooms are a bit old)

Bowsden Court - Miles away. It's OK, good that it is in flats so you make friends easy but generally nowhere near as party central as Leazes and Park Terrace. Metro pass is about £30 a month so add that in to your costings.

Marris House - This was a good choice when it was behind Ricky Road (which they've now knocked down). I'm sure it's still really good and very close to Uni.

St Marys College - I would definitely avoid. In Fenham which is miles away and not on the Metro line so you'll have to bus or face a long walk which people always complained about. Fenham also isn't really the nicest part of Newcastle to put it mildly.

The View - really good, visited a couple of times. Tesco underneath which is awesome and its right next to the Business School. It will also be right on top of the new Computer Science building which is going behind it. They're quite strict on noise here but you'll meet good people.

Unfortunately I don't know any of the others so can't really comment but happy to answer any questions!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Tobyedkins
I'm just about to firm my offer from Newcastle uni and am wanting to sort accommodation but dk where's best? Social and close to campus but still pretty comfortable, Any suggestions?

Hi,

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in here.

You might want to take a look at The Shield student accommodation building in Shieldfield, an 18 minute walk away from campus.

We're a brand new building so you would be the first to live there. We've got both Studios and Cluster apartments, and lots of social rooms like a gym and cinema room so you can get involved in a whole host of events.

Like our Facebook page to have a look at our pictures and competitions:
@TheShieldUK

If you’re interested, check out our website: www.freshstudentliving.co.uk/theshield

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
Lucy @ The Shield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending