The Student Room Group

Back-ups?

Ey yo,

Just wondering if anybody else is in the same boat as me. I am considering either an apprenticeship or a job even, in the RAF or Navy should I not make the grades for my university choice.

My primary interests when it comes to the RAF/Navy would be air traffic controlling or potentially piloting, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that both fields only require a minimum of CC at A-level.

And before anybody says... yes, I am still aware that RAF and Navy are both highly competitive.

And for the record, I am also aware that some people who want to become a pilot for the RAF have intentions of being trained on them and then ****ing off to join a commercial airline. This is not my intention, as I am interested in serving for my country, rather than personal gain. Maybe 20 years or so down the line after I have served my time and can take a pension out may I consider a commercial career, but I know that the RAF isn't just a job, but a way of life. (My dad, ex-army, has been sure to drill this into my head lol).

The RAF has always been an interest of mine from a young age, and I was going to join after my GCSE's but I however decided against this, as i was not certain I knew what I wanted to do.

Also, I'm not just limiting this to results day... I may hate university, or find out it's not working for me for example.

Is anyone else considering a life in the RAF or Navy as a contingency plan?

I am intrigued.
Reply 1
I joined the Army when I failed my second year at Uni. Plenty of people in the forces are there because it was a plan B.
BUMP
Reply 3
I always though as an RAF career as a back up plan if I didn't get into uni but I ever ended up applying to uni because the RAF life appealed to me so much. That's the life I wanted - not a degree in politics.
I've been stuck at the medical stage of my application since the start of December now though and things aren't looking great but I have other career paths open to me now which don't include university.
When I was in year 12 I would 100% have been in the same boat as you until I went to a university fair and spoke to RAF Recruitment and then university became my back up instead.
Different strokes for different folks
Original post by Casper16
I always though as an RAF career as a back up plan if I didn't get into uni but I ever ended up applying to uni because the RAF life appealed to me so much. That's the life I wanted - not a degree in politics.
I've been stuck at the medical stage of my application since the start of December now though and things aren't looking great but I have other career paths open to me now which don't include university.
When I was in year 12 I would 100% have been in the same boat as you until I went to a university fair and spoke to RAF Recruitment and then university became my back up instead.
Different strokes for different folks

It's a shame things haven't quite gone your way! I am thinking perhaps as opposed to having the RAF as a 'backup', I may go to Uni and join the RAF afterwards. I read somewhere that you're likely to get promoted faster if you hold a degree too. Not sure how true that is though.

Nevertheless, I wish you luck for your future and hope it all goes well for you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by abrack
Ey yo,

Just wondering if anybody else is in the same boat as me. I am considering either an apprenticeship or a job even, in the RAF or Navy should I not make the grades for my university choice.

My primary interests when it comes to the RAF/Navy would be air traffic controlling or potentially piloting, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that both fields only require a minimum of CC at A-level.

And before anybody says... yes, I am still aware that RAF and Navy are both highly competitive.

And for the record, I am also aware that some people who want to become a pilot for the RAF have intentions of being trained on them and then ****ing off to join a commercial airline. This is not my intention, as I am interested in serving for my country, rather than personal gain. Maybe 20 years or so down the line after I have served my time and can take a pension out may I consider a commercial career, but I know that the RAF isn't just a job, but a way of life. (My dad, ex-army, has been sure to drill this into my head lol).

The RAF has always been an interest of mine from a young age, and I was going to join after my GCSE's but I however decided against this, as i was not certain I knew what I wanted to do.

Also, I'm not just limiting this to results day... I may hate university, or find out it's not working for me for example.

Is anyone else considering a life in the RAF or Navy as a contingency plan?

I am intrigued.

Hi,

I'm literally in the same position as you. I have a conditional offer to go to university, now I just need to make sure I get the grades to get there. Although I'm not too sure whether or not I actually want to go lol.

If I could get in without a degree then I would apply straight away but I don't think I'd be competitive enough.

Remember that the CC A levels are the least you need to get to be considered, many applicants will have masters degrees and a whole host of experience.

If you did go to university, it would be a chance to develop yourself and gain some independence. You could also join the UAS which would help prepare you for OASC and they also teach you how to fly.

Not to dampen your hopes but maybe you should look at another branch rather than pilot. It is an incredibly competitive branch and you have to be really on top of your game, both mentally and physically to even get a sniff at fast jets.

Might I suggest ABM which is practically the closest role to a pilot and it's at the heart of what the RAF does. Some other interesting roles are Flight Ops and ATC .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swainyy
Hi,

I'm literally in the same position as you. I have a conditional offer to go to university, now I just need to make sure I get the grades to get there. Although I'm not too sure whether or not I actually want to go lol.

If I could get in without a degree then I would apply straight away but I don't think I'd be competitive enough.

Remember that the CC A levels are the least you need to get to be considered, many applicants will have masters degrees and a whole host of experience.

If you did go to university, it would be a chance to develop yourself and gain some independence. You could also join the UAS which would help prepare you for OASC and they also teach you how to fly.

Not to dampen your hopes but maybe you should look at another branch rather than pilot. It is an incredibly competitive branch and you have to be really on top of your game, both mentally and physically to even get a sniff at fast jets.

Might I suggest ABM which is practically the closest role to a pilot and it's at the heart of what the RAF does. Some other interesting roles are Flight Ops and ATC .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ATC would be an option for me, as it's always been an interest. But, I would prefer to go to university myself. :P

Cheers for your input! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest