lucy713
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So recently I have received offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews universities, but I am finding it really difficult to decide between the two, and was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Edinburgh - History and Politics
PROS
-very high world ranking
-i like the course a lot
-i really like city, and I would prefer to live in a busy place with lots of things to do
-there is a better nightlife in edinburgh
-it has a lot of facilities and extracurriculars on offer
-more chance of finding a part time job
-more chance of finding internships/work experience while I am at uni
-better study abroad options
CONS
-the course does not look as good as that at St Andrews
-the student satisfaction rate seems very low in comparison (could somebody maybe shed some light on this?)
-I am not sure whether this course is prestigious as the one at St Andrews, and whether I would be better off in the long run with a St Andrews degree

St Andrews - International Relations and Modern History
PROS
-the course looks AMAZING
-I would be able to do more history in my first two years
-there are more teachers per students, so i feel i would get a more personal experience
-student satisfaction is very high
-very prestigious and a high domestic ranking (in CUG its IR beats Cambridge!)
-there seems to be a lot of societies on offer
CONS
-it is in a small town, and i would prefer to be in a large city
-i am worried I would get bored there
-there is less chance of getting a part time job/work experience
-it seems overly expensive
-there doesnt seem to as much of a nightlife compared to Edinburgh

I have visited both and would like to hear opinions from other people about deciding between these two universities.

Thanks for any responses
lucy713
Rep:
?
bump
lucy713
Rep:
?
anyone?
MattyR2895
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally I would say St Andrews, although tbf I've never visited Edinburgh. The History course at St Andrews has a very good reputation, some of my favourite historians have taught there. I don't know about the undergraduate costs, but I'm going to be studying History there as a postgrad and the course was cheaper than most other places I looked, inc. Edinburgh. They also have an accommodation award if your household income is under a certain amount which basically gives you a £3000 discount on uni halls. As for going out, I don't think there are any clubs in St Andrews, but apparently Dundee is a short bus ride away and a lot of students go there on the weekend for a night out.
username4998226
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Edinburgh student satisfaction is low because of their emphasis on self-study and also the health service is underfunded. But unless you like golf, not sure what there is to do in St Andrews. Jobs don't just employ based off degree, they like to see a well-rounded individual. Where do you think you'd like more? What do you do in your spare time now? Do you like sitting in a field for your night out?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
61.83%
I don't have everything I need (92)
38.17%

Watched Threads