The Student Room Group

[URGENT] I got caught cheating in my as psychology exam (mock), please help!

There was a part in the mark scheme where there was both an actual answer and an alternative "accept" answer. In my exam I wrote both, that and the fact that I scored 67/70 and many answers were very similar to the mark scheme, the teachers confronted and exposed me as a cheater.

I flat out denied it. The teacher highly suspects I cheated, but has no concrete proof I did. Many students also come up to me asking about this, teacher keeps asking me trying to force a confession. What do I do? What do I say?

I am in year 12 BTW, 1st year at college. Defo learnt my lesson and won't cheat again (ever).
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hybridposter
There was a part in the mark scheme where there was both an actual answer and an alternative "accept" answer. In my exam I wrote both, that and the fact that I scored 67/70 and many answers were very similar to the mark scheme, the teachers confronted and exposed me as a cheater.

I flat out denied it. The teacher highly suspects I cheated, but has no concrete proof I did. Many students also come up to me asking about this, teacher keeps asking me trying to force a confession. What do I do? What do I say?

Admit it tbh. You are not helping your teacher by cheating in a mock as they need to know what the class is collectively weak on and make sure this is strengthened by May
Original post by Jakir
Admit it tbh. You are not helping your teacher by cheating in a mock as they need to know what the class is collectively weak on and make sure this is strengthened by May

Strict school, I am only in year 12, will face terrible sanctions if I do.
Ur ****ed mate 😂😂😂
Reply 4
Strict school, I am only in year 12, will face terrible sanctions if I do.

If you feel that it is really detrimental to admit it - DON'T but never do it again
How would you be heating if you had researched and seen the mock answer? Do you have to make a declaration you havent or are you told not to look t up? i understand it is often last years paper. You are only heating yourself although I'm unclear as to whether you broke rules.
Well… you're going to have to admit it. Next time, don't cheat. That result you got from that test is completely meaningless anyway - it's not your work. Sorry… no real sympathy here.

Don't cheat and you won't get into trouble.
Original post by Jakir
If you feel that it is really detrimental to admit it - DON'T but never do it again

I just want a good reply to what I say the next time the teacher asks me about this and also what I say to other people (though that's not my main concern)
Was it last years paper? If so you will have done it when revising.
If you have learned your lesson then say nothing. The sanctions will be harsh and you could ruin your future. The onus is on you now to revise hard and ace your AS exam for real.
Cheating is not worth it. You have achieved nothing
Reply 9
You're an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paracosm
Well… you're going to have to admit it. Next time, don't cheat. That result you got from that test is completely meaningless anyway - it's not your work. Sorry… no real sympathy here.

Don't cheat and you won't get into trouble.

Most likely that's not true.

She probably won't be doing the actual AS exam (psychology is a reformed A-level and most schools don't do the exams anymore) and so teachers will use mocks to predict grades. This could have potential consequences on her predicted grades.
Original post by jamestg
Most likely that's not true.

She probably won't be doing the actual AS exam (psychology is a reformed A-level and most schools don't do the exams anymore) and so teachers will use mocks to predict grades. This could have potential consequences on her predicted grades.

Of course it's true. The result they have in that mock exam, regardless of if the A-level is reformed… is still completely meaningless because OP cheated - there is no way they would have done so well if they wouldn't have cheated.
Just say you memorised the past paper as part of your revision? If it's an old one and its available online etc as well as the mark scheme, and they set it for you as a mock, I don't even think that counts as cheating?
What's the point in cheating anyway? It's not a true reflection of how you would do in the exam, and doesn't help you spot your mistakes and improve. Isn't that what a mock is meant to achieve?
Of course it's true. The result they have in that mock exam, regardless of if the A-level is reformed… is still completely meaningless because OP cheated - there is no way they would have done so well if they wouldn't have cheated.

That's a pretty big, and also insulting, assumption and not something I'd expect from the ST :frown:

No one knows how well they would have done, it could have just been a confidence issue because at times when I've felt like resorting to cheating during mocks (asking what the paper was from other classes) it was due to a lack of confidence yet I still did pretty well in the end without the cheating.
Original post by jamestg
That's a pretty big, and also insulting, assumption and not something I'd expect from the ST :frown:

No one knows how well they would have done, it could have just been a confidence issue because at times when I've felt like resorting to cheating during mocks (asking what the paper was from other classes) it was due to a lack of confidence yet I still did pretty well in the end without the cheating.

I apologise if that's the sentiment you got from that message, not what I was aiming for! What I'm saying is that cheating instantly discounts any result you would get on a test because you aren't doing the work, the mark scheme isn't going to be there on the day of the exam - why use a safety net or what have you and set yourself up to fail? Resorting to cheating just isn't the right response in my eyes if you're struggling or have low confidence in the subject. There's plenty you can do to make sure your knowledge is to a good standard without point-blank cheating.
I apologise if that's the sentiment you got from that message, not what I was aiming for! What I'm saying is that cheating instantly discounts any result you would get on a test because you aren't doing the work, the mark scheme isn't going to be there on the day of the exam - why use a safety net or what have you and set yourself up to fail? Resorting to cheating just isn't the right response in my eyes if you're struggling or have low confidence in the subject. There's plenty you can do to make sure your knowledge is to a good standard without point-blank cheating.

You're right obviously that cheating doesn't help your grade but I think you're also not taking into account how poorly schools communicate between subjects, like what if OP had multiple other mocks or real assignments due at the same time? I went to a grammar where we had mocks and tests pretty much every week and sometimes, that subject just isn't a priority. Of course you're going to learn the content for the real exam, but it's not always possible to keep up with every subject to the standard that you could sit a mock and perform well all the time. And schools really don't take this into account when setting multiple conflicting mock exams frequently. I wouldn't make a habit of doing this but I can completely understand why OP might have felt they had to cheat if they had other assignments or mocks that had to be prioritised because, stupidly, explaining that to a teacher doesn't make a blind bit of difference, they still expect you to do well constantly. As a one off, I don't think it's that bad. And if the school really is doing something as dumb as setting a past paper as a mock where the mark scheme is easily available then what are they expecting? OP hasn't answered this but the school has either given the past paper and mark scheme for revision or OP has found it themselves online, both of which is therefore poor oversight by the school. If they didn't want students looking up the mark scheme they should've written their own mock paper- my school did this for this very reason, you can't cheat and your real knowledge (or lack thereof) is exposed
Reply 17

I am in year 12 BTW, 1st year at college. Defo learnt my lesson and won't cheat again (ever).

Do the crime, pay the time.
Reply 18
you shouldn't have posted this here with that much detail for starters as probably if a classmate or teacher came across your thread they could recognize it was you..

TSR Is used by a lot of people in the UK, I've noticed at least 2 people here who I know in real life, and also lots of others on another forum I visit

it seems they have no concrete proof to convict you. In order to punish you they need proof. There is no benefit to you at all in owning up. Just keep your mouth quiet and profess your innocence. No serious reprimands will occur so long as you do not admit to anything........

learn from this and never again cheat in a test.
Unlucky fam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending