The Student Room Group

Alexander Blackman conviction reduces to manslaughter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39278929

A Royal Marine jailed for shooting an injured Taliban fighter in Afghanistan has had his murder conviction reduced to manslaughter by an appeal court.

Sgt Alexander Blackman, 42, from Taunton, Somerset, has served three years of a life sentence.

Five judges at the Court Martial Appeal Court in London ruled the conviction should be "manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility".

A further hearing will decide what sentence Blackman should serve. 'Everyone wanted him dead' Blackman - who was known as Marine A during the original trial process and fully identified when he was convicted - was not in court to hear the decision.

The marine had a recognised mental illness at the time of the shooting in September 2011, the hearing was told.

His defence team argued that fresh psychiatric evidence, if available at the time, would have provided him with the "partial defence of diminished responsibility". The panel of judges were urged to overturn the "unsafe" murder conviction.

Executing your enemy on the battlefield saying "It's nothing you wouldn't do to us" and clearly violating the Geneva convention no longer counts as murder it seems.

Murder is murder, you cannot execute your enemies on the battlefield and no he didn't "do it to put him out of his pain" he did it with vengeance.

The hypocrisy is unbelievable sometimes.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AishaGirl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39278929

A Royal Marine jailed for shooting an injured Taliban fighter in Afghanistan has had his murder conviction reduced to manslaughter by an appeal court.

Sgt Alexander Blackman, 42, from Taunton, Somerset, has served three years of a life sentence.

Five judges at the Court Martial Appeal Court in London ruled the conviction should be "manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility".

A further hearing will decide what sentence Blackman should serve. 'Everyone wanted him dead' Blackman - who was known as Marine A during the original trial process and fully identified when he was convicted - was not in court to hear the decision.

The marine had a recognised mental illness at the time of the shooting in September 2011, the hearing was told.

His defence team argued that fresh psychiatric evidence, if available at the time, would have provided him with the "partial defence of diminished responsibility". The panel of judges were urged to overturn the "unsafe" murder conviction.

Executing your enemy on the battlefield saying "It's nothing you wouldn't do to us" and clearly violating the Geneva convention no longer counts as murder it seems.

Murder is murder, you cannot execute your enemies on the battlefield and no he didn't "do it to put him out of his pain" he did it with vengeance.

I don't see where there is any claim that Blackman 'put him out of his misery'...he was suffering from a psychiatric condition at the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually agree with you here. You can't just kill him whenever you like. He posed no threat, Taliban or not.
excellent news JUSTICE FOR MARINE A
Original post by cbreef
I actually agree with you here. You can't just kill him whenever you like. He posed no threat, Taliban or not.

The accused was mentally ill, why do people struggle to get their head around this

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neal95
excellent news JUSTICE FOR MARINE A

He's a cold-blooded murderer. He might have had a mental condition, but he knew damn well what he was doing.
This is war, people die.

Next just don't film it.

Funny if the insurgent managed to kill Marine A we would pretend like we care and pretend to mourn the loss of another soldier then forget he ever existed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
I don't see where there is any claim that Blackman 'put him out of his misery'...he was suffering from a psychiatric condition at the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He argued a few years ago that the taliban fighter was severely injured from an apache attack and was never going to survive so he shot him to end his life quickly for him... pffft.

And oh the classic "I'm not mentally well argument". Yes I'll just execute someone and then if I get caught, I'll just say I was mentally unwell.

Depressed etc.

And oh the classic "I'm not mentally well argument". Yes I'll just execute someone and then if I get caught, I'll just say I was mentally unwell.

Depressed etc.

omg are you still thrashing that horse? :toofunny:
He might have been mentally ill, but he still knew what he was doing.
Original post by cbreef
He might have been mentally I'll, but he still knew what he was doing.

Of course he knew what he was doing.
Original post by CoolCavy

No... I'm just saying it's not acceptable to use mental health as an excuse here. Yes people do crazy things like dress up as batman and shoot up a theatre of civilians but this was no mental health problem.
Original post by cbreef

What I want to know is what his condition was. Law for manslaughter with reduced responsibility does state that it is reduced in the case of mental disorder.

Original post by CoolCavy

The way he said "we just broke the geneva convention, this stays here" proves he knew exactly what he was doing.

Have you read the judgment?
Do you understand what the defence of diminished responsibility means?

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/homicide_murder_and_manslaughter/#diminished
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
How the hell was he a Sergeant with that medical condition?
Reply 16
He didn't commit murder so can you remove the libellous title?
No... I'm just saying it's not acceptable to use mental health as an excuse here. Yes people do crazy things like dress up as batman and shoot up a theatre of civilians but this was no mental health problem.

how is it not acceptable? he isn't using it as an excuse because if that were the case he would be walking scott free and he isnt he is still being charged and who are you to say it was no mental health problem? that was for the jury to decide and they have decided that it is, and lets just ignore the fact that PTSD is especially common in soldiers as a collective anyway due to the traumatic circumstances they work under.
Original post by cbreef

What do you propose we do with the injured after an Apache attack? Give them ice-creams?
An outrage.

The poor Taliban fighter murdered out of hand could have had many years of terrorising the people of Afghanistan ahead of him.

A promising career and life ended by the evil Blackman.

Still, no doubt his comrades still terrorising Afghanistan take much pleasure when they see the support they have in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending