The Student Room Group

English Lang&Lit/Literature vs Drama for A-Level?

I'm pretty new here so I genuinely have no idea if I should be posting this in the A-Level section. So, I've been having a dilemma for several months now about my A-Level choices which are now due in Mon 20th of March. Three of my four were pretty well cemented in thanks to either good(ish) grades at GCSE and/or a genuine interest in the topic.

But my two main dilemma subjects would have to be English and Drama and which one to pick. Originally, I was going head first into Drama since I really liked the subject but I my parents had slightly differing opinions. It's not in a way where they're forcing me to make a decision based off their choices, it's just they were questioning whether I should take it this far along. I did show an interest in English Literature to them, but this was mainly due to my interest in the texts studied (Great Gatsby, Othello etc.). However, my analysis isn't the greatest and I'm not the most sharp at using terminology. On the flip side, however I tend to suffer very bad nerves whenever an examiner comes into a performance. Anything else I'm pretty okay with, but it's just external markers.

I'm hoping one day to hopefully study Computer Science at Manchester University and my other A-Levels are History (just really like the course), Maths (need it for University) and Computer Science (obviously course specific). So, I'm not sure which subjects would tie in better with these three. I'm not really wanting to list targeted grades, because it's been stated numerous times by teachers that our targets are far too high realistically to really use. I completely ruled out the other Sciences because as I'm just getting through GCSE, I feel A-Level would just be a leap way too far.

So could anyone give me any opinions on what each subject may cover, what Universities might look for with them etc. Ooh, also, if this is any help my exam board for both would be AQA if that would do anything with the course specification.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Ah, thanks! I went on the subject forum and this is the forum that I thought would be the right choice, but feel free to move it if you feel it is a better choice on another forum. :smile: It would be really nice if there were some replies at some point but I get there's not much time left since I have my choices pick tomorrow (Mon 20th).

Quick Reply

Latest