The Student Room Group

Mechanics 1 help

Hello,

Can someone help me on this question please?

IMG_1867.JPG

I don't understand why for part a you have to treat the whole system as a single particle to find the force R. Why can't you just do it for one particle ?

Is it because of the tension or something because I usually don't include that in my diagrams - I forget...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
Hello guys,

Can someone help me on this question please?

IMG_1867.JPG

I don't understand why for part a you have to treat the whole system as a single particle to find the force R. Why can't you just do it for one particle ?

Is it because of the tension or something because I usually don't include that in my diagrams - I forget...

I assume it's because of the inextensible string, so the two bricks move as one
Reply 2
I've understood both parts everybody, sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yeah
Original post by NiamhM1801
I assume it's because of the inextensible string, so the two bricks move as one

Yeah I understood that because it's inextensible, the acceleration of both of the bricks is the same and they move together in the same straight line and therefore you can treat the system as a single particle. However, my method was right but I didn't have tension in my diagram so I couldn't get to the right answer!

I understood why they treated the whole system as a single particle because it is much easier and much much less work which I realised after trying both methods !

Thanks for your help 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest