The Student Room Group

help when to start revising for gcse's help!!!

Well i Basically Didn't revise at all for my mock exams in January which was stupid but that has happened now and there's nothing i can do about that. I have 9 weeks left till the start of my GCSE's (start 16th may). I am starting revision week starting the 13th of march , just would like to know are 9 weeks enough because i haven't revised AT ALL and how long should i be revising a school night and weekends considering i get home at 6pm every day because my school is really far. Also is it worth making notes because i have none and i have a feeling they will be to time consuming.
I am also hopefully wanting all As and A*s.
Thank you
I would revise 3 hours a night, maybe do some on the journey from or two school when you have made notes and then just 2 hours at home seeing as you get back so late. Make up for lost revision time at the weekend but it's really up to you to decide the optimum time- mine varies on Saturdays and Sundays. 9 weeks is long enough for GCSEs I think, and even if it turns out to be a bit of a rush it's much better than not revising at all. Remember, it's only 9 weeks until a single exam but longer than that for the others.
Its alright man. I didn't revise at all for my mocks, don't feel beaten just because you didn't get good in your mocks, remember mocks are harder than GCSE's because you've got little time to prepare, the GCSE's you've got 4-5 solids months to consolidate everything/
Hi,
So I started creating revision resources as early as September of Year 11 and gradually stepped up my effort as I approached my exams, knowing which subjects would require more effort than others and which could be revised largely the night before. I feel the early you start the biggest fighting chance you give yourself, without boring you with how memory works basically the more you revise something the more likely you are to remember it. Revision should work in phases where you will revise content and then do practice papers but these two can be intertwined. This is what I did and I got 3 9s and 7 A*s, so it was effective for me. However, some people will have the ability to do it all within the week or two leading up to the exams; this tactic is both risky and unreliable, I know I for one wouldn't have been able to pull this off.
Another benefit to starting earlier rather than later is that you will feel an awful lot less stressed when you get to the real things as you'll be a lot more confident that you know the content on which you are going to be examined.

I hope this helps,
If there are any further questions feel free to PM me, I'm happy to help.
I revised one day before each exam with 0 hours of revision in total and I passed everything except history which I did not listen in one lesson at all so I didn' really csre. I think if you listened in all your lessons and have some sort of understanding of them you could smash all your revision in like 3 weeks.
Original post by youseeyk
Well i Basically Didn't revise at all for my mock exams in January which was stupid but that has happened now and there's nothing i can do about that. I have 9 weeks left till the start of my GCSE's (start 16th may). I am starting revision week starting the 13th of march , just would like to know are 9 weeks enough because i haven't revised AT ALL and how long should i be revising a school night and weekends considering i get home at 6pm every day because my school is really far. Also is it worth making notes because i have none and i have a feeling they will be to time consuming.
I am also hopefully wanting all As and A*s.
Thank you

Start now and a couple of hours a night.
Good luck:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest