The Student Room Group

What will happen if ALL jobs became automated?

Just wanted to hear thoughts on this topic.

Edit:
I meant nearly all.
(edited 7 years ago)
then you have a lot of free time.
Then alot more people start training as mechanics and engineers for when the machines inevitably break.
Reply 3
I wonder how income would work. Or if people will be depressed as they dont have something to do?
I think the programmers of the machinery would probably be most in demand.
They can't/won't, unless the government are willing to pay everyone higher than 'dole money', if every job was automated then people would earn no wages, so the product/service the company is offering, wont have anyone buying as no one has any money.
Reply 5
Would it cause worldwide poverty and extreme gap between poor and rich? Also i imagine if robots could grow crops and such then what would happen to small businesses would they even exist anymore?
Reply 6
Original post by Delvine
Just wanted to hear thoughts on this topic.

Edit:
I meant nearly all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTCm1QrBplU This video covers this topic extremely well. As in, it asks a lot of the questions which one may not think of at first sight.

The video ends up saying that the biggest question of full automation is whether or not humans will be lost with themselves and bored, or if they will look at it pragmatically and simply enjoy their hobbies through life.

Original post by R0ckTillWeDr0p
They can't/won't, unless the government are willing to pay everyone higher than 'dole money', if every job was automated then people would earn no wages, so the product/service the company is offering, wont have anyone buying as no one has any money.

I don't see how the fact that the economy would be completely different and that people would gain materials rather than money for labor is a refutation of the inevitability of full societal automation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jackieox
Then alot more people start training as mechanics and engineers for when the machines inevitably break.

The machines could do that, if they're clever enough.
Reply 8
Will the powerhouse be those who own automated businesses
Reply 9
Disorder.
Reply 10
Basic income, then people can pursue what ever they want I guess.
Reply 11
I wonder if machinery goes so far that conscious robots can be made. If that does happen i dont know if it would be considered as alive
Reply 12
Original post by Yaboi
Basic income, then people can pursue what ever they want I guess.

I think humans and every animal is somewhat selfish so i doubt people would receive basic income and like there will maybe be like riots or something to create jobs idk. Also i no nothing about how economy works but if everyone has the same salary then whats the point of having money? They could all just recieve like things they need to survive. Also doesnt that mean there wouldnt be any motivation for humanity to go further?
Reply 13
In my personal opinion, i fear automation and consider myself a bit of a luddite. Originally people thought that with increasing automation etc. people would be able to work less and that we could still live a better live with increased leisure time.

However, the reality of the fact is that why does industry want a robot/ automation and a human and rather why not just have a cheaper automation system and lay off the workers instead making them jobless. The only jobs are limited to those servicing the automation devices etc and in highly paid jobs such as managers, research and development etc.

The EU has proposed a so-called "robot tax" to counter the effects of automation, as reduced working hours is a increasing threat , not a positive, as although we might have more time on our hands, we wont get the same money, just less, witht he profits ending up in the owners hands with vast profits.

There will be little oppurtunity for those whom are unskilled as was traditioanlly the case, where unskilled workers could work in a mine etc. It might also coincide with far-right or altright populist political parties too with of these affected communities/ peoples relying upon the far-right for sympathy and solutions.

Related subject: Just look at the gig-economy - apps like deliveroo, uber paying little tax and being the biggest companies but paying low wages with employee workers designated as self-employed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEkT14RBzDI I think this is an interesting video with a good layout of how a society of this nature could work and still be fairly capitalistic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending