Really struggling with A2 history :( Watch

jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Okay so I'm really stressed and struggling with A2 history. The amount of stuff we need to know in the amount of depth is too much, I'm awful with my A2 unit essays, I have no idea how my coursework has gone and I'm behind on my AS revision.

So far:
- I'm on my third draft of my coursework and I really don't have any confidence in what I've written.
- I've completed only 2/9 chapters of the AS work
- My essays for the tudor unit are very bad and the amount of stuff is overwhelming.

I need an A to get into my first choice and I'm currently looking at getting around a C (a B if I'm lucky). Every single year of my examined education I've dreaded history and have stressed about it a lot - but I came out with As at both GCSE and AS, I know some will just say I'm better than I think I am however I feel like this is going to be the year it all goes wrong. And this is the year that really matters too

Any words of wisdom to impart?
han1234678
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Okay so I'm really stressed and struggling with A2 history. The amount of stuff we need to know in the amount of depth is too much, I'm awful with my A2 unit essays, I have no idea how my coursework has gone and I'm behind on my AS revision.

So far:
- I'm on my third draft of my coursework and I really don't have any confidence in what I've written.
- I've completed only 2/9 chapters of the AS work
- My essays for the tudor unit are very bad and the amount of stuff is overwhelming.

I need an A to get into my first choice and I'm currently looking at getting around a C (a B if I'm lucky). Every single year of my examined education I've dreaded history and have stressed about it a lot - but I came out with As at both GCSE and AS, I know some will just say I'm better than I think I am however I feel like this is going to be the year it all goes wrong. And this is the year that really matters too

Any words of wisdom to impart?

First of all, try not to get stressed!! It's only march and so there are still quite a few weeks left and you aren't running out of time. I think maybe some organisation might help you to sort out your history grade? If you haven't already, I would reccomend asking your teacher for a meeting to discuss your history coursework where they can give pointers and help you to get that under control!! Also make sure that your AS notes from last year are neatly filed along with any essays from last year or this year.

In terms of revising AS, I would recommend setting yourself targets of what you should do each week for example I do cue cards for both my AS modules once a week. I have a friend, however, who makes a mind map on each of the 5 topics mon-fri for module 1 in one week and then module 2 in the second week. It's all about what works for you!! One thing that we both have in common is that we focus our revision around essays- so my cue cards have potential essays on one side and the key arguments on the other whilst she does a mind map per essay. Whatever works for you!! But regular is a must!! It's also worth doing an AS essay for each topic maybe once a fortnight or similar just because it helps to consolidate knowledge.

In terms of A2, it sucks. There is a lot of content and the essays are more complicated. However, that's not going to change so instead you need to tackle it!! Revision should be similar to AS but maybe slightly more in depth and with more essays done as practice. If you keep slipping up in essays then consider asking your teacher to sit down with you and tell u specific things that you could do differently or rewrite an essay using the next steps to try to improve how u did until u have a model answer!!

Remember that you can answer every essay they throw at you even just a little!! And if all else fails follow this simple motto "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullsht"

Anyway, good luck!! I'm sure it will work out you're clearly smart and I'm sure u will work super hard to get where you want to be!!
meganm0ore
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I feel the exact same, need a good grade for uni but feel I don't know anything! I even asked my teacher how I was supposed to revise all this content to be answered with 'I have no idea.' I'm hoping they'll give us straight forward essays to write!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.55%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (64)
9.55%
No I am happy with my course choice (379)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.33%

Watched Threads