The Student Room Group

New rule NHS Bursary

Hi could anyone offer me advice on my NHS bursary case please.

I was due to start university Sptember 2016 but got critically ill end of August and stayed in hospital for almost 2 months. After being discharged i was still under the care of district nurses and doctors coming to see me at home as I was not fully recovered. My place for uni was deffered for 2017 because they only had the September intake. I had been trying to talk to the Nhs people about my circustance and to see if i will still receive my bursary which had been completely agreed and finalised before i got ill, the nhs bursary people kept telling to wait until a closer date of applying because they were no sure of which rules i would fall under. i called them 2 weeks ago and they said that i will not be illegible but i can make an appeal.

if there is anyone with similar situation or has an idea if making this appeal will help, please advise me. Thank you
You start in 2017 so you'll be on the 2017 system....
You start in 2017 so you'll be on the 2017 system....
Reply 3
Original post by Rue36
Hi could anyone offer me advice on my NHS bursary case please.

I was due to start university Sptember 2016 but got critically ill end of August and stayed in hospital for almost 2 months. After being discharged i was still under the care of district nurses and doctors coming to see me at home as I was not fully recovered. My place for uni was deffered for 2017 because they only had the September intake. I had been trying to talk to the Nhs people about my circustance and to see if i will still receive my bursary which had been completely agreed and finalised before i got ill, the nhs bursary people kept telling to wait until a closer date of applying because they were no sure of which rules i would fall under. i called them 2 weeks ago and they said that i will not be illegible but i can make an appeal.

if there is anyone with similar situation or has an idea if making this appeal will help, please advise me. Thank you

Hi there. I have similar problem. The university referred me to NHS Bursary to argue my case. I ve been on this issue. since January 2017. Today i finally made a new application to NHS bursary and student finance. Both claimed university did not tell them I deferred till sept 2017. My approvals and award letters just showed cancelled on both websites. You are required to contact them on a certain number that pops up if you try to open or ammend 2016 applications. I did call them but was advised to make fresh applications. Nhs bursary will tell you not to send any supporting document as your detail is already on their system except if your circumstance has changed.
I dont know your chances with the appeal. It worths trying cos the tuition will be loaned by student finance with interest from day one. The only difference is that there is more maintenance loan on offer ...up to £14,500 depending on individual circumstances .
Hope you find this useful and Goodluck
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending