Chi-owls
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I feel that I might want to take art at university but pressure from my parents suggests that I should do something 'worth while'. If I do decide not to take art at university will my chance of getting into a good one drop because I took it as an a level. Alongside art I am taking psychology, philosophy and ethics and also doing EPQ
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Art is easier than other A levels and a degree in it is not very employable.

But doing it at A level generally won't affect your chances of doing another degree as long as your overall subject mix is acceptable. What other degrees would you consider?
phantomkaboodle
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A-Level art still requires a huge amount of skill that lots of people don't posses, and is very taxing and needs a good sense of time management, which are qualities that all employers seek out. If art is what you're interested in, I would suggest you take it, especially as you have a strong line up of academic subjects to balance out this creative one. Don't let anyone convince you that art is a 'soft' subject, when it requires just as much effort as other A-Levels.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by phantomkaboodle)
A-Level art still requires a huge amount of skill that lots of people don't posses, and is very taxing and needs a good sense of time management, which are qualities that all employers seek out. If art is what you're interested in, I would suggest you take it, especially as you have a strong line up of academic subjects to balance out this creative one. Don't let anyone convince you that art is a 'soft' subject, when it requires just as much effort as other A-Levels.
It's also worth noting that Art isn't just drawing pretty pictures like a lot of people seem to think, you'll also have to do a lot of written studies analysing other artists work and tying it into your own. Definitely something that caught a lot of my peers out, no idea if it's still the same set up though.
bloated_utopia
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
It's also worth noting that Art isn't just drawing pretty pictures like a lot of people seem to think, you'll also have to do a lot of written studies analysing other artists work and tying it into your own. Definitely something that caught a lot of my peers out, no idea if it's still the same set up though.
it is for me. we do a lot of research on artists (making both written and visual responses), are expected to annotate our work's progress to an extent, do a few essays on our concepts and sometimes evaluations a the end of projects/themes - on top of all the work for our own practice.

the concept that art is a 'soft subject' always baffled me. if 'facilitating subjects' are just broader subjects that keep options open and good universities like to see for certain courses then an art/fine art a-level could be included; it opens up tonnes of options like art/fine art (obviously), illustration, graphic design, product design, architecture, photography, textiles, fashion, game art/design, advertising, branding, film, media, production design, sound design - can even be a big help in stem degrees like engineering. but more specific creative a-levels such as textiles, graphic communication/products, illustration, 3-d design or photography - which i'd consider the softer creative a-levels (though still obviously useful and interesting) have more limited options for progression, eg if you did textiles or photography it may be difficult to go into something like game design, fine art, illustration or graphics.
Chi-owls
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by chazwomaq)
Art is easier than other A levels and a degree in it is not very employable.

But doing it at A level generally won't affect your chances of doing another degree as long as your overall subject mix is acceptable. What other degrees would you consider?
I'm not entirely sure but something like law?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads