The Student Room Group

RAF TMU

Having been TMU for a while I'm now getting a bit sick of it! My question is who should I contact and how to find out goings on? I believe my GP should've released my records but not 100% on that. Having to wait this long is disheartening and I'd like to get it sorted ASAP. Any help welcome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I'm now three and a half months into my TMU. The Cranwell medical bookings team or your AFCO are the people you should contact. Contact info for the medical team will be on any emails you've received. If in doubt, contact your AFCO anyway and ask for their number for a status update
Reply 2
Welcome to the TMU club, i was TMU'd for about 6 months all because my shoulder was a littlw higher than my opposite. I have had 3 medicals and now i have been told my medical that i passed is soon to expire so i have to do another one... Capita are a disgrace and the RAF should be doing their own medicals to prevent the uprise in TMU's. The funny thing is, me and my brother were tmu'd whereas my sister (who has something wrong with her) was cleared straight away...
Reply 3
Original post by Kimbo98
Capita are a disgrace and the RAF should be doing their own medicals to prevent the uprise in TMU's.

Or, Capita are doing their job and slowing down the numbers and acting as an unofficial weeding out stage of recruitment...
And what makes you think Capita aren't using the RAF's rules when it comes to who's suitable?
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
Or, Capita are doing their job and slowing down the numbers and acting as an unofficial weeding out stage of recruitment...
And what makes you think Capita aren't using the RAF's rules when it comes to who's suitable?

Capita are currently not hitting their targets of the amount of recruits they are too pass, they are way too specific and expect everyone to meet a 'super soldier' standard. No one is perfect, in my personal experience Capita have been terrible (it could be different in other areas but my was the worst) they up and left with no word of where to send my papers and whole long list. i'm not arguing i'm just proving my point! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Kimbo98
Capita are currently not hitting their targets of the amount of recruits they are too pass, they are way too specific and expect everyone to meet a 'super soldier' standard. No one is perfect, in my personal experience Capita have been terrible (it could be different in other areas but my was the worst) they up and left with no word of where to send my papers and whole long list. i'm not arguing i'm just proving my point!
:smile:

Strictly speaking, you're not. You're offering an anecdote.

Any evidence that the numbers aren't getting through, or that they're expecting too much?
Reply 6
http://www.gponline.com/100-complaints-capita-takes-patient-records-service/article/1421685

Over 100 complaints, also when my sister did her PRTC the Officer asked the whole room if they had any complaints towards Capita... the whole room put their hands up.

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2017/01/24/recuitment-cannot-be-taken-for-granted-as-army-misses-target-f/

They have to be one of the reasons the recruitment numbers are going down. Way too strict on the medical side, i understand for jobs such as a pilot or even a engineer but for a chef? its a civilian job and if acne on your back is a strong enough reason to tmu somebody i dont know what to believe.

If you think Capita is so good you'll have to show evidence because to everyone i have spoken to and read its all negative press.
Most all of those medical standards you don't think should apply have applied for decades and the RAF rejected people for the same issues before anything was contracted out.
Reply 8
Original post by Kimbo98
Way too strict on the medical side, i understand for jobs such as a pilot or even a engineer but for a chef? its a civilian job and if acne on your back is a strong enough reason to tmu somebody i dont know what to believe.

Severe acne has always been a medical fail.

The armed forces have a very different life to civilians, they consequently have different standards.
The medical standards are tough because they need to be. If you understand what being in the military really involves then you will understand why it needs to be this way. Capita use the same standards that have been around for decades.
Have the same problem. I have been TMU'd for 4 months now and it is dishearting. Made sure what i thought the issue would be was checked and signed off by doctors. But last thing I heard was I am being reviewed by senior medical officer because of my slow heart rate. Most fustrating part is they say its gonna happen but don't give a time constraint when its gonna be reviewed. However they are happy enough to give you deadlines and say oh you have to start again.

Quick Reply

Latest