The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Chemistry Papers 2017 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clairebear101
For the mechanisms i just did the NH3 acting as a nucleophile and halide ion leaving then another NH3 removing the H from nH3 so u get NH4+ and the product? Is thay correct?
I did the same idea for the ethanoyl chlorise

Yep that seems about right.

They asked in part (b) to predict the mechanism for the reaction of propanoyl chloride with ammonia. They expected you to take the ideas of SN2 and apply them to an unfamiliar situation, viz. propanoyl chloride with ammonia.
So, I looked at the grade boundaries this year, and it seems easy to get E's, D's and possibly C's but there are larger gaps between C/B, and B/A.
Original post by SquishyFishy
So, I looked at the grade boundaries this year, and it seems easy to get E's, D's and possibly C's but there are larger gaps between C/B, and B/A.

Grade boundaries for an A ?
Original post by bobby147
Grade boundaries for an A ?

208/300 for an A. 248/300 for an A*
208/300 for an A. 248/300 for an A*

:frown:,was honestly hoping it would be lower.
:frown:,was honestly hoping it would be lower.

Sorry for the bad news. :frown: B 173 C 137 D 102 E 67.

Don't know if that'll help or not. I'm just hoping to pass, chemistry is my weaker subject, so I'm just praying I pass.
Sorry for the bad news. :frown: B 173 C 137 D 102 E 67.

Don't know if that'll help or not. I'm just hoping to pass, chemistry is my weaker subject, so I'm just praying I pass.

Is this for new spec as well ?
For biology it is 174 for an A,so I am shocked Chemistry is this high.
Is this for new spec as well ?
For biology it is 174 for an A,so I am shocked Chemistry is this high.

Yeah this is new spec. Yeah biology is low this year, but then again, the people I spoke to and the reaction I got was that they struggled for time and were unsure if they were sitting the correct exam because it didn't seem like any of the stuff we covered came up in the exam. My school teachers were absolutely rubbish for Biology. Where's Chemistry, for my class, and some of them do Biology, said it went better for them instead of Biology.

I've been reading, exam boards have had to lower the grade boundaries because the exams were too hard and the grades wouldn't have reflected the hard work students had done. So could you imagine what Chemistry was like??:K:
Yeah this is new spec. Yeah biology is low this year, but then again, the people I spoke to and the reaction I got was that they struggled for time and were unsure if they were sitting the correct exam because it didn't seem like any of the stuff we covered came up in the exam. My school teachers were absolutely rubbish for Biology. Where's Chemistry, for my class, and some of them do Biology, said it went better for them instead of Biology.

I've been reading, exam boards have had to lower the grade boundaries because the exams were too hard and the grades wouldn't have reflected the hard work students had done. So could you imagine what Chemistry was like??:K:

For me Chem paper 3 went awful,and considering its 40 percent of the exam,thats a problem.
For me Chem paper 3 went awful,and considering its 40 percent of the exam,thats a problem.

Oh. Snap. I forgot the chem papers aren't weighted like the biology ones. I can't really remember paper 3 that well apart from that awful shopping list mechanism questions.
Oh. Snap. I forgot the chem papers aren't weighted like the biology ones. I can't really remember paper 3 that well apart from that awful shopping list mechanism questions.

i checked and its actually 209 marks needed for an A,so slightly worse.
For me the long calculation questions and the percentage uncertainty was the worst .
i checked and its actually 209 marks needed for an A,so slightly worse.
For me the long calculation questions and the percentage uncertainty was the worst .

Oh yeah. So sorry. My head is fuzzed up with a cold. I can't really remember the percentage uncertainty but I prefer calculation questions over written questions. Like, I can stumble my way through the maths, and I know if it's 4 marks I need to do 4/5 things. I list them in order when I do the maths. But when it's the written answers, I literally find it so hard to write down my thoughts in an understanable way. I remember the 6 mark on splitting patterns and honestly, it was so tiring to write out the names for both of the things, so I had to say look at 1 and I had to draw diagrams to refer to what part I was looking at. I hope they give me marks for that.

I'm not hoping for an A. The uni course I'm doing needs a B in Biology, and a CD in two others. So I have no clue what I'm gonna end up getting. It's down to chemistry and maths.
How'd everyone do?
How'd everyone do?

Got an A. Not sure how much I'm off the A* because there's no mark printed on my sheet for the overall 3 papers, and the individual ones.
How'd everyone do?

Got 233/300 - so an A. Tbh I thought I was gonna fail so this surprised me.
Was about to cry in the exam hall during the last test because it felt so unreal that my whole future was gonna end with one stupid test. Thank goodness I didn't really break down and still had some willpower to complete the paper!
Reply 355
Hi,
Does anyone have the Edexel Chemistry A level syllabus for 2017?
Do u have them>?

Quick Reply

Latest