What do you think of education across the world?

Watch
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
While you may only have direct experience of education in the UK, what do you think of education approaches in other countries? There is a lot of variation! For example, the approach in America with the SATs (not like the tests in Year 6!), some places starting compulsory education much later, and the more rote/'chalk and talk' teaching in China.

If you have attended school in other countries, what do you think? How does it compare to any experiences of the UK education system? Which country has the best system? According to this the UK is only in the top 20 of the world
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
I've heard that American public education is terrible, few (and entirely optional) standardised tests and a general lack of quality, which perhaps explains why UK/European universities won't accept American high school diplomas for entry.

I rather like the look of the IB and the German Abitur. I think pupils should have to take a range of subjects (languages, humanities, social sciences, science and maths) up until they're 18. It seems mad that kids in the UK can drop any subject they like post-16. I often see people on TSR who are doing three A levels in effectively the same subject (maths, further maths and physics; geography, geology and environmental science; English literature, English language and drama; business studies, accounting and economics etc) - ridiculous.
Arran90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a very good question. I have wondered about ingrained cultural practices largely confined to British schools that are rarely found in other countries. Things like Nativity plays and summer term sports days in primary schools with parents watching.

Multicultural / multiracial educational resources seem to be another British phenomenon since the 1990s.

How many countries have a large number of both religious schools and secular schools like England does with its C of E and RC schools?

Are Berol Handwriting Pens used in schools in other countries?
username3083320
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me I feel that there's no true 'best' system. Each person has different needs and will adjust better to different types of systems. I've been to a Japanese school when I was younger and I would say it's not much different to schools here. Students there have a pretty balanced school life; in fact school clubs play an integral part of their lives (especially in sports clubs, they can be incredibly dedicated) so it isn't just about studying there.

They have summer sports festivals, inter-school competitions for specific sports, and even a school festival open to all where each class has to decide on a theme (e.g. a restaurant, horror house). Despite all that fun, some students do go to cram school but the majority simply enlist the help of a student mentor to aid them with studies.

All in all, I'd say I enjoy the system there more than I do for the system here.
Arran90
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What intrigues me is the high level of disaffection with schools and the truancy that occurs in Britain and some other developed countries, yet at the same time children in Africa are willing to walk 10 miles or more to school to sit in a class of over 50 and share a dog-eared textbook from the 1970s. They can only dream of the iPads and other educational resources found in British schools whilst having to provide their own paper and pens.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads