The Student Room Group

St George's Biomed Transition into Medicine

Can someone please logically and coherently explain the transition from Biomed to Clinical Bioscience to Medicine that happens at St George's in London?

I can't really understand the paragraph they've put on their website:

Option 1: Home/EU students on BSc Biomedical Science who meet the requirements to transfer into the BSc Clinical Bioscience pathway are able to apply at the end of your second year as a new entrant to the second year (transition) of Medicine MBBS (Graduate Entry), and international students are able to apply and enter the second year of International Graduate Medicine MBBS. Offers to interview will be presented to eligible applicants who satisfy the academic criteria for the Clinical Bioscience pathway with predicted first class or 2.1 degree honours. Students are required to graduate from BSc Clinical Bioscience before they transition to the Medicine MBBS (graduate entry) course. The number of places available is reviewed each year.

Do you:
Complete your first 2 years of Biomed degree, then in your 3rd year, transfer to Clinical Bioscience and after you finished your 3rd year, if accepted, go into the 2nd year of Medicine (Graduate)?

Thanks a lot!
Either way you have to finish the clinical bioscience course (3 years). What you need to work out is at what stage you can express interest or transfer onto the clin bio pathway once you're on the biomed course. At the end of the second year is when your med application is due.
Hi there!

At St George's, students can transfer from Biomedical Science to Medicine after completing the full three years of their degree, passing an interview and achieving a 2:1 (Hons) as their final classification. They can then transfer into Year 2 of the GEM programme.

You can read about other Biomed to Medicine transfer schemes on this page here.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Reply 3
Is it easier to get into SGUL Biomedicine then transfer onto the medicine course than take a gap year to apply for a medicine course? I got A*AA in my A-levels this year but I'm afraid that I'll get an average (or lower) UCAT again (I got 2480 in 2019) which was the main thing that let me down.

Thanks.
Original post by Shi_S
Is it easier to get into SGUL Biomedicine then transfer onto the medicine course than take a gap year to apply for a medicine course? I got A*AA in my A-levels this year but I'm afraid that I'll get an average (or lower) UCAT again (I got 2480 in 2019) which was the main thing that let me down.

Thanks.

This thread is three years old.

Also generally internal BMS to medicine transfer schemes are vastly more competitive than standard entry medicine admissions.

Latest