The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alice544
I don't see anything wrong with girls choosing to wear it. The goverment shouldn't have any say in what people choose to wear. Freedom is British value and should be respected at all costs .It's fear created by ignorance and racism to allows certain people in society to treat a certain ethnic minority like **** when they're humans just any other Adam or Mary. And no I'm not a Muslim (I'm chinese and proud) but I view everyones life equally. And also Im NOT hiding behind some false humanitarn agenda to get my social justice warrior asethic up to par.

But the government does have certain control over what we wear. For example, it’s illegal to be naked in public as well as wearing balaclavas and helmets inside banks etc.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
it’s illegal to be naked in public as well as wearing balaclavas and helmets inside banks etc.

Don't think any of that is illegal in Egnland. :s-smilie:
The burka is the ****ing reason why so many humans on this earth are brainwashed from f**** religion lol. If you think a burka means anything 😂😂😂 as if allah exists and as if he made up some rule that all women should be covered up 😂😂😂😂 yes people that was made up in the Middle Ages you ****ing non Oxbridge morons
Why is it considered acceptable to police women’s clothing? Just leave women alone and let them wear what they feel comfortable wearing. If a women chooses to wear the burqa, then it isn’t your place to tell them what they should and shouldn’t wear. It has no effect on others, so why are people so concerned?
Time for me to add my opinion

Yes, absolutely the Burka should be banned, it is a security issue. If you go into a shop wearing a Motorbike Helmet you will be asked to remove your helmet and walk around so staff/CCTV can see your face- it is only the same with a Burka, for our Muslim community- is there anything in the Koran where there is circumstances where a woman HAS to wear the Burka?

Also this opinion poll shows around 35% are happy banning the Burka- this is not what the wider public think- Sky conducted a poll where 59% was in favour of the Burka Ban and ITV done a poll which shows that roughly 94% of people said that Boris shouldn't apologise i saw this at roughly 9.30 AM however it looks as if ITV have now took down the poll as they didn't get the result they wanted.

Maybe the only way to decide it is to give the British population a referendum on the Burka and allow everyone to vote, not just muslims. The reason i say this is there is considerable public support for a burka ban, if parliament refuses to discuss it they are not being representative of democracy.

I' m not endorsing Boris' comments here but what he said was sort of true and if he's disciplined on it, it shows how much of a fake society we have and how free speech has been suppressed at the highest level.

My Final and closing comment is that at least allow it to be debated, also the left wing claim of burka's being empowering is downright stupid how can it be empowering if you can only see ones eyes.
No, it should not!
Original post by You Kipper
Time for me to add my opinion

Yes, absolutely the Burka should be banned, it is a security issue. If you go into a shop wearing a Motorbike Helmet you will be asked to remove your helmet and walk around so staff/CCTV can see your face- it is only the same with a Burka, for our Muslim community- is there anything in the Koran where there is circumstances where a woman HAS to wear the Burka?

Also this opinion poll shows around 35% are happy banning the Burka- this is not what the wider public think- Sky conducted a poll where 59% was in favour of the Burka Ban and ITV done a poll which shows that roughly 94% of people said that Boris shouldn't apologise i saw this at roughly 9.30 AM however it looks as if ITV have now took down the poll as they didn't get the result they wanted.

Maybe the only way to decide it is to give the British population a referendum on the Burka and allow everyone to vote, not just muslims. The reason i say this is there is considerable public support for a burka ban, if parliament refuses to discuss it they are not being representative of democracy.

I' m not endorsing Boris' comments here but what he said was sort of true and if he's disciplined on it, it shows how much of a fake society we have and how free speech has been suppressed at the highest level.

My Final and closing comment is that at least allow it to be debated, also the left wing claim of burka's being empowering is downright stupid how can it be empowering if you can only see ones eyes.

https://media.giphy.com/media/G4ZNYMQVMH6us/giphy.gif
Original post by HumbleBee_x
No, it should not!

What role does it play in a western society?

The reason I am challenging is to ascertain why there is such widespread support on here compared to the general population.

Do you think some muslim women opting to cover everything but their eyes and the bridge of their noses is good for a cohesive society. I have got to be honest you need to see who you are speaking to, how can you have a cohesive society when you can't get to know someone- A burka is a cracking disguise you cant tell one from another and that is where the security issue comes in. Let's say an ISIS member wears a burqa and covers their full body stabs a load of westerners and blend in with 8-10 of their mates also wearing Burka's how would we know who's done it. I know it's a negative connotation but i wouldn't rule it out.

The reason I am challenging is to ascertain why there is such widespread support on here compared to the general population.

Do you think some muslim women opting to cover everything but their eyes and the bridge of their noses is good for a cohesive society. I have got to be honest you need to see who you are speaking to, how can you have a cohesive society when you can't get to know someone- A burka is a cracking disguise you cant tell one from another and that is where the security issue comes in. Let's say an ISIS member wears a burqa and covers their full body stabs a load of westerners and blend in with 8-10 of their mates also wearing Burka's how would we know who's done it. I know it's a negative connotation but i wouldn't rule it out.

its an expression of religion/freedom it plays a massive role in western society.
Probably because the intelligence level on TSR is at least slightly more than the general public. Also polls have been taken from sky news and ITV, most people I know don't even watch tv anymore it has a much older demographic.
You don't need to see who you're talking to at all, im talking to you right now fine. I can still get to know you. So many other disguises that are legal and will basically never be banned as realistically they don't need to when the level of crimes committed in a burqa is actually high then maybe think about imposing a ban. ISIS member could just as easily legally wear a mask or a number of other disguises.

I agree with you to some extent, because in Islam the dress code for a woman is to cover everything except for her hands and face.
However, I think at the end of the day women should have the freedom to dress however they like, and this topic has only come up due to the past of Islamophobia and ISIS and all sorts to make Islam look bad, otherwise, this rarely would have been brought up.
Original post by isiaiah d
its an expression of religion/freedom it plays a massive role in western society.
Probably because the intelligence level on TSR is at least slightly more than the general public. Also polls have been taken from sky news and ITV, most people I know don't even watch tv anymore it has a much older demographic.
You don't need to see who you're talking to at all, im talking to you right now fine. I can still get to know you. So many other disguises that are legal and will basically never be banned as realistically they don't need to when the level of crimes committed in a burqa is actually high then maybe think about imposing a ban. ISIS member could just as easily legally wear a mask or a number of other disguises.

That is wrong when my friend who owned a motorbike until he got killed in a crash was forced to take his helmet off before going into any shop- I do acknowledge bike crime has gone up thanks to Mrs May's ingenius of telling police they can not chase criminals on motorbikes if they take their helmet off and discard it as it was considered to risky
That is wrong when my friend who owned a motorbike until he got killed in a crash was forced to take his helmet off before going into any shop- I do acknowledge bike crime has gone up thanks to Mrs May's ingenius of telling police they can not chase criminals on motorbikes if they take their helmet off and discard it as it was considered to risky

That doesn't mean its illegal though - a shop can say they won't let you in but that shop could also say you have to wear bike helmets and wouldn't be breaking laws.
Banning burqas isn't just limited to shops people won't be able to wear them when walking the streets
Original post by isiaiah d
That doesn't mean its illegal though - a shop can say they won't let you in but that shop could also say you have to wear bike helmets and wouldn't be breaking laws.
Banning burqas isn't just limited to shops people won't be able to wear them when walking the streets

The police can force you to remove it
The police can force you to remove it

That doesn't mean its illegal or banned. If this was the case with the burqa it might be more acceptable.

I mean none of this addresses that the same (if not better) disguises can be bought at your local Tesco or online easily.
I almost knocked two young children down one day because the mother was wearing the full face burka and quite frankly her vision was obscured and both children ran out in front of me.I believe her vision was obscured because she was wearing this apparel and I said to the woman
Original post by Hobgoblin Dragon
This by no means is a controversial topic, it has made the news many times- particularly when the french decided to ban the Burka in 2011.

http://www.dw.com/en/five-years-into-ban-burqa-divide-widens-in-france/a-19177275

In my opinion there is very little wrong with banning it, every other citizen in the UK shows their faces- my answer to people saying "it's there culture!" is we should outlaw it and if they have any problems with it they can always go to their home nations. For all we know people hiding behind a burqa may do a lot of crimes such as shoplifting, terrorist related acts (stashing bombs in bins.etc) and if they get away with it the CCTV will just show there eyes- not enough to convict someone

I'm Muslim myself and I think it should be banned but I don't always let my opinion be known also I'm not fully sure about it. The thing is, I understand all the dangers it brings and I don't see why people ignore the dangers. I don't think it's racist or islamophobic to think burkas should be banned. Plus they aren't even an obligation.
Yes as a full face covering in certain environments.
Original post by Ronzo100
I almost knocked two young children down one day because the mother was wearing the full face burka and quite frankly her vision was obscured and both children ran out in front of me.I believe her vision was obscured because she was wearing this apparel and I said to the woman

What did you say to the woman???? Don't keep us in suspense like that!
The problem with the Burka is that too often it is a means for misogynistic oppression and control of women.

Banning it would be... controlling women.

So I think it's not possible to be against it for the right reasons and to want to ban it too.

Latest

Trending

Trending