The Student Room Group

maths a level

I just want to ask what is required to be successful in a level maths.
Original post by Butterflyshy

Completing past papers.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Completing past papers.

During a level maths, what was the lowest grade you got for any module during mocks? Do you think one should worry about what mock grade for maths they receive?
hard work.
Original post by MajorFader
During a level maths, what was the lowest grade you got for any module during mocks? Do you think one should worry about what mock grade for maths they receive?

Currently doing A2, but in a few AS mocks i got C/D's, mainly cause i hadn't revised for them.

If you are revising for mocks and still get low grades,then that's more of an issue.

80% effort/practice/good teaching plus 20% aptitude

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths A level is geared heavily towards memory and knowledge of processes/routines for the most part.
As gdunne42 mentioned, even the least able of students could probably land a solid C/B grade with grit and determination alone, but some people are not able to score higher than this because they cannot make the necessary mental links between different areas of the course. In essence, they have a hard time actually understanding.

Of course you do not need to understand the concepts of what you are studying down to bedrock level e.g: "How did they actually invent differentiation?", but you should have a good idea of what is going on, and not be simply relying on your memory alone.

TL;DR: work hard, practice practice practice and understand what you are learning.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks everyone for your great advice:smile:
Reply 8
Lots and lots of past papers. Also definitely take stats/further/additional maths at GCSE if given the opportunity, it'll give you a huge head start.
Original post by nonon41
Lots and lots of past papers. Also definitely take stats/further/additional maths at GCSE if given the opportunity, it'll give you a huge head start.

I'm doing as maths at the moment. But thanks for the advice.
Also what do you guys think of the Delphis papers. Are they relevant? I'm thinking of doing the solomon papers before them. At the moment I'm finishing of the c1 past papers.
I find for maths revision is simple:

either
1) You understand the concept and so there is no need to do past papers.
2) You do not understand the concept and you need explanation.

I have always been very good at maths naturally and so have never really seen the reason to revise past papers (When I see a question I normally know exactly what im going to do within a few seconds) and the thing that slows me down is typing into a calculator or writing out the answer.

If you can get to the stage where you are competent enough at questions to know almost as soon as you've read the question what you will be required to do then it will be ideal. This will result in you having a lot more time for other questions.

Quick Reply

Latest