Biochemistry at Kings Watch

myemm123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,
Im about to start biochemistry undergraduate programme. Does anyone studying this subject ? If yes could you please tell me how is it? Roughly how many days there are classes sheduled? Also how much time do you spend learning at home? After graduating biochemistry what postgraduate courses i could take ? I am thinking about microbiology or organic chemistry but Im not sure am I allowed to do it after biochemistry.
Thanks
RachaelBee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by myemm123)
Hello,
Im about to start biochemistry undergraduate programme. Does anyone studying this subject ? If yes could you please tell me how is it? Roughly how many days there are classes sheduled? Also how much time do you spend learning at home? After graduating biochemistry what postgraduate courses i could take ? I am thinking about microbiology or organic chemistry but Im not sure am I allowed to do it after biochemistry.
Thanks
Hey, I'm coming to the end of my first year of common year one, and I'll say that it's very full on. Sometimes I'm doing 40 hours a week at uni/in the library, and classes are scheduled pretty much every day Monday to Friday. Not sure what happens when you graduate as it varies between unis, but I know some microbiology courses will accept biochemistry as a related subject. If you're particularly worried about what you can do at postgrad level I'd recommend considering biomedical science as it offers a more personalised course. Hope that helps.
myemm123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by RachaelBee)
Hey, I'm coming to the end of my first year of common year one, and I'll say that it's very full on. Sometimes I'm doing 40 hours a week at uni/in the library, and classes are scheduled pretty much every day Monday to Friday. Not sure what happens when you graduate as it varies between unis, but I know some microbiology courses will accept biochemistry as a related subject. If you're particularly worried about what you can do at postgrad level I'd recommend considering biomedical science as it offers a more personalised course. Hope that helps.
Hey, thanks thats really helpful. Could you tell me how many hours per week you had classes ? And how do you find Kings? Are u enjoying your course?
Thanks
RachaelBee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, thanks thats really helpful. Could you tell me how many hours per week you had classes ? And how do you find Kings? Are u enjoying your course?
Thanks
It varies week to week; a couple of weeks ago I had 21 hours, but usually it's between 15 and 20, but spread out in such a manner that I haven't been able to work weekdays. I really enjoy it, it's not without it's flaws and some lecturers are better than others but I transferred to King's from Greenwich and I know where I'd rather be! I know a lot of people who don't enjoy it but I've picked a subject I already worked in and knew I loved, whereas they're a little less invested in science and I don't think they were aware of the realities of what lab work really is. It's really fast paced though and keeps me thinking and studying (I usually do around 40 hours a week of uni work to keep on top of everything), so be prepared to work hard.
JustPadz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hello,
Thanks

Hi, I'm second year biomed, so I did the same common year one as biochemistry students did last year. For CYO you'll go to class from 15-22 hours a week the first semester is regularly chilled, youll have a poster to do in a group, a mini review to write and a test on amino acids. The second term is a bit more work intense with 3 lab reports, and 3 exams in addition to the 4 january exams youll have.

You can do microbiology as a module in second year and I believe theres more microbiology to do in 3rd year.

Hope this helps !
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JustPadz)
Hello,
Thanks

Hi, I'm second year biomed, so I did the same common year one as biochemistry students did last year. For CYO you'll go to class from 15-22 hours a week the first semester is regularly chilled, youll have a poster to do in a group, a mini review to write and a test on amino acids. The second term is a bit more work intense with 3 lab reports, and 3 exams in addition to the 4 january exams youll have.

You can do microbiology as a module in second year and I believe theres more microbiology to do in 3rd year.

Hope this helps !
Are there any presentations during the first year?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello,
Thanks
Microbiology probably

Organic chemistry would be more difficult . I'd recommend a pure Chemistry degree because it's not taught much in Biochemistry. youd still be eligible for MSc programmes, but you'd probably have to do a lot of catching up
uka_qwer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m gonna start biochem in kings too!!!! Overall do u guys think the common year 1 is beneficial
ameenatariq
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How is the common year?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
myemm123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ameenatariq)
Are there any presentations during the first year?
Hi, there are 2 oral presentations. 1st is a group poster presentation (5min) and second one is individual on topic of your choice (10min).
uka_qwer
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello, for everyone who has been through the common year one prograame, what accomadation did u pick
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.63%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.65%
No I am happy with my course choice (521)
59.27%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed