UrsulaLangley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently studying Hamlet for the OCR A level exam, and my feedback for unseen extract essays is very poor. I'm being told it's all there, but its obviously not since I haven't achieved higher than a C! Has anyone got any tips or examples for this sort of essay (the one that worded: Discuss the following passage exploring Shakespeare’s use of language and its dramatic effects (15)).

I will be grateful for any advice.
livvvv99
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The main assesment objective for this section of the exam is AO2; have you been filling your answers with loads of AO2 terms e.g. metaphor, similie, caesura, adverb? My grades have been increasing ever since I sharpened my focus on language, form and structure. But don't just say a technique Shakespeare has used, explain its effect and why he has chosen to use it. Hope this helped
UrsulaLangley
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
That helps a lot.

I've been taking like an overall effect such as tension and explaining how the language relates to this, I didn't realise we needed to comment upon literary techniques, so I'll attempt that for sure in my next essay.
Faye G
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Make sure to also be mentioning about form, my teacher has gone on constantly about form, for instance, when Claudius is in prayer and Hamlet enters, you can talk about how is silent entry increases tension. I also linked this to how it was performed in Kenneth Brangans version which my teacher said was a good link to use when talking about form, I find that watching versions of Hamlet has definitely helped me not only understand it more but also has allowed me to improve my use of form in part A for the unseen
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Faye G)
Make sure to also be mentioning about form, my teacher has gone on constantly about form, for instance, when Claudius is in prayer and Hamlet enters, you can talk about how is silent entry increases tension. I also linked this to how it was performed in Kenneth Brangans version which my teacher said was a good link to use when talking about form, I find that watching versions of Hamlet has definitely helped me not only understand it more but also has allowed me to improve my use of form in part A for the unseen
AO5 seems a little redundant, no?
Faye G
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
AO5 seems a little redundant, no?
AO5 comes in part B
Part A is focused on AO1 & AO2
Part B is AO1 & AO5
Tolgash
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Faye G)
AO5 comes in part B
Part A is focused on AO1 & AO2
Part B is AO1 & AO5
I know my exam rubric, trust me. What I'm saying is that this question pertains to part a, not part b. Your response included AO5, the use of a critical interpretation, which seemed a little unnecessary because you need it to truly bolster your point in order for it to just help you gain credit (because that's all it can do in that question really).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads