Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

March 22nd: What’s the worst thing about puberty? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What’s the worst thing about puberty?

A recent survey suggests getting your first period is still something girls are embarrassed about – so it’s time to banish the shame. The Surgery this week is all about how to survive the changes that come with puberty, whatever your gender.

Where did you learn about how your body works? How well did you handle puberty? How did your development change how you were treated?

Share your experiences and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 22nd March at 9pm for some straight talking advice and the facts on going through puberty.

Please note: you can post on this forum anonymously.

(Original post by BBC Radio 1)

A recent survey suggests getting your first period is still something girls are embarrassed about – so it’s time to banish the shame. The Surgery this week is all about how to survive the changes that come with puberty, whatever your gender.

Where did you learn about how your body works? How well did you handle puberty? How did your development change how you were treated?

Share your experiences and tune in to Radio 1 on Wednesday 22nd March at 9pm for some straight talking advice and the facts on going through puberty.

• Random erections.
    • The social obligation to be attractive or else be shunned.
    • The cruelty of other people who can't handle their hormonal emotions.
    • Having a sex drive - life was so much simpler without it.

ReputationRep:
    Having to hide your browsing history.

ReputationRep:
    Being worried at 14 that you won't produce any sperm, just because some people had it earlier.

- the pain, messiness and embarrassment of your first period.
    - acne
    - mods swings and stress levels

ReputationRep:
    Periods were the worst thing to happen to me.

Oh, and hormonal migraines.

ReputationRep:
    voice ...

ReputationRep:
    Everything.

ReputationRep:
    Being self conscious that you're not at the same stage as your friends are if they have beards and low voices when you're still pretty hairless and high pitched

ReputationRep:
    voice
    acne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    That I didn't get boobies to play with.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Periods.

My anxiety is at extreme levels during this time, I don't leave the house at all, even if I have to go sixth form. Mood swings are just awful. I try and avoid speaking to people during these 5 days so that I don't irritate anyone, as I've noticed I've angered many people with my shifty moods during these times.

When teachers don't let you go to the toilet until you explain the ins and outs of what's going on "downstairs" and they get grossed out and let you leave.

ReputationRep:
    Periods.

I overheard a Year 7 girl tell her mates the other day that she couldn't wait to have her period. I was just thinking how much she'll hate it after a very short while.

ReputationRep:
    The morning piss while you're 'solid as a rock'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Having to hide your browsing history.
    Lmfao. You really are the funniest person here 😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Voice cracking every 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBC Radio 1)

Periods & stretch marks

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite lucky that puberty was a breeze for me. I knew all about the birds and the bees, periods and body changes since my mum was very open about those topics and it wasn't a taboo subject so I always felt very informed.

The worst part though was probably the mood swings for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    not understanding whats going on

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: March 27, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you enjoy your job?
Useful resources
Radio 1 - The Surgery

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.