The Student Room Group

How will I successfully represent my university while abroad?

Part of my application for a bursary for an international experience this summer centres on this question, but it just seems a bit...pointless?

I figure they want me to say something that indicates that I will be considerate of others and respect their culture, but I have 200+ words in which to write it. What kind of thing are they looking for? Past times I have respected others? Don't we do that everyday? I haven't been abroad either so I have nothing to build from on that point...any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Koyo
Part of my application for a bursary for an international experience this summer centres on this question, but it just seems a bit...pointless?

Actually it's a core part of the deal. You are getting free money. The payback for the uni is that you will represent them in a positive way. It's PR for them, not just a jolly for you.

I figure they want me to say something that indicates that I will be considerate of others and respect their culture, but I have 200+ words in which to write it. What kind of thing are they looking for? Past times I have respected others? Don't we do that everyday? I haven't been abroad either so I have nothing to build from on that point...any advice?

What they're looking for is an awareness that whilst abroad, you will effectively be the public "face" of the uni. You might be all some people have seen of the uni. You are their ambassador. You need to act in a way that reflects well on your uni at all times. Take any study seriously. Work hard. Interact with other people in an appropriate way. Respect cultural differences and traditions. Be open and friendly but be respectful. Dress appropriately (smart casual if necessary, no T-shirts with dodgy prints like "Thug Life etc). Be clean and tidy around your accommodation. Be polite, punctual and reliable. Have fun but don't go out on the lash and throw up everywhere. Don't play loud music until the small hours in your accommodation. Don't hit on the boss's daughter/son.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. You're getting a non-repayable sum of money, so you're going to have to give something back to the uni in order to justify their investment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Actually it's a core part of the deal. You are getting free money. The payback for the uni is that you will represent them in a positive way. It's PR for them, not just a jolly for you.

What they're looking for is an awareness that whilst abroad, you will effectively be the public "face" of the uni. You might be all some people have seen of the uni. You are their ambassador. You need to act in a way that reflects well on your uni at all times. Take any study seriously. Work hard. Interact with other people in an appropriate way. Respect cultural differences and traditions. Be open and friendly but be respectful. Dress appropriately (smart casual if necessary, no T-shirts with dodgy prints like "Thug Life etc). Be clean and tidy around your accommodation. Be polite, punctual and reliable. Have fun but don't go out on the lash and throw up everywhere. Don't play loud music until the small hours in your accommodation. Don't hit on the boss's daughter/son.

There's no such thing as a free lunch. You're getting a non-repayable sum of money, so you're going to have to give something back to the uni in order to justify their investment.

I wouldn't exactly call it a core part, I'm not going to another university, I'm not working or doing an internship...who exactly am I talking to my university about?

It's not just a jolly for me anyway, it's a learning experience. Isn't that what universities are for? Learning? If they have to remind us every email that they are listed as a charity, then yeah I can expect them to do charitable things once in a while.

But anyway I am aware I need to those things, I do them everyday. Do I need to write that I will continue to do these things in that way? What I'm really asking is if there is a subtler way to say I will be on my best behaviour than a list of things I will or won't do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending