Handsome devil
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi,
could someone give me an idea of what a principle of the constituion would be.

Thanks.
adelante
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Handsome devil)
Hi,
could someone give me an idea of what a principle of the constituion would be.
Hi

I'll try to give a full structured answer for this.

A constitution is a set of principles, which may be written or unwritten that set out the distributioin of power within a political system, relationships between political insttitutions, the limits of government jurisdiction, the rights of citizens and the method of ammending the constitution itself.

The principles of the UK constitution could also be called sources. They are: parliamentary statutes, constitutiional conventions, historical principles and constitutional writings, common law, customs, and the influence of European Union treaties and statutes.

I've taken the above from McNaugton (2006) Success in AS Politics, p131-136

HTH

Ad
bobby1986
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by adelante)
Hi

I'll try to give a full structured answer for this.

A constitution is a set of principles, which may be written or unwritten that set out the distributioin of power within a political system, relationships between political insttitutions, the limits of government jurisdiction, the rights of citizens and the method of ammending the constitution itself.

The principles of the UK constitution could also be called sources. They are: parliamentary statutes, constitutiional conventions, historical principles and constitutional writings, common law, customs, and the influence of European Union treaties and statutes.

I've taken the above from McNaugton (2006) Success in AS Politics, p131-136

HTH

Ad
WRONG WRONG WRONG the principles of the UK constitution are DIFFERENT to the sources. the principles are values held within the constitution like the rule of law, pariliamentary sovereignty, separation of powers. the sources are the things that Form the constitution- e.g. common law, statute law, international treaties, works of authority, convention, royal prerogative..
adelante
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Pabs666)
the principles are values held within the constitution like the rule of law, pariliamentary sovereignty, separation of powers.
Yikes!!! :eek: I stand corrected. Well done for spotting that.

Ad
Handsome devil
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks very much,that is extremely helpfull.
mark88
Report 13 years ago
just to let you know

Sources came up last summer

Therefore anything to do with constitution is unlikely to come up again this year.

unless theres a section on constitutional reform
bobby1986
Report 13 years ago
if you are talking about OCR politics then you are completely wrong. if you aren't then you might not be wrong lol
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
He's talking about EdExcel, where that B part question killed me.
MidlandsBlondie
Report 13 years ago
wouldn't you have to include the fact that it isn't codified well not totally and the use of conventions?
liamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Conventions are important simply because many in parliament don't realise they are conventions - they assume they are rules. Uncodified is the exact term for the UK constitution - just like that of the EU (at present - which is a major reason why the EU wants a codified one).
bobby1986
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by liamb)
Conventions are important simply because many in parliament don't realise they are conventions
rubbish.
liamb
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Really?

So the fact Lord Halifax wouldn't take the post of PM in 1940 because of the convention about PMs sitting in the Commons is 'rubbish'?

The 'Salisbury Convention' is often used by governments even though they don't use it title, they certainly seek its protection. ('It's in the manifesto).

Elections on a Thursday.

3 quick examples of how conventions aren't recognised as being established practise but people (including some MPs) believe they are laws.

BTW: 'I disagree' is a lot more debatelike than 'rubbish'. The former means I should respect our differences.
abdulrahman315
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can anyone tell me whats the major ideas of the uk source power
?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (338)
55.78%
I don't have everything I need (268)
44.22%

Watched Threads