The Student Room Group

MA Social Work Funding

I'm looking to start a masters in Social Work this September but it will be dependant on funding. I am in my thirties and have dependants. I believe the following could be available to me:

Social Work Bursary - I am eligible BUT the university is not forced to give me it within their allocation. If this is the case then I will be entitled to the PTA transport costs of about 900 quid only.

Postgrad Loan - I am eligible for this which is just over 10K for the 2 years which will just cover tuition fees. If the bursary falls through then I can claim this. If I do get a bursary then I can cancel this loan as I can't get them both.

Is this correct? Can you get the bursary for both years i.e. about 9 grand in the first and 9 grand in the second? If allocated the bursary does this mean you're guaranteed it for the second year too? Are there any more funding possibilities available??

Thanks
You cannot get both the postgraduate loan and the social work bursary, so you're right there.

For the social work bursary, for post grads the basic rate grant is up to £3,362.50 per year if you are studying outside of London. In London, it increases, but only slightly to £3,762.50. The maintenance grant is up to £2,721 per year, £4,201 if you are studying in London. The Bursary also only pays £4,052 towards tuition fees, so if the course is more than that amount you will have to make up the outstanding cost yourself. If you drop out the course, you will be expected to pay back the amount as the bursary will not cover this for you. Usually you will be eligible for it in year two if you were for year one, but this may not always be the case dependant on the university and the number of applicants.
Original post by MMT0609
I'm looking to start a masters in Social Work this September but it will be dependant on funding. I am in my thirties and have dependants. I believe the following could be available to me:

Social Work Bursary - I am eligible BUT the university is not forced to give me it within their allocation. If this is the case then I will be entitled to the PTA transport costs of about 900 quid only.

Postgrad Loan - I am eligible for this which is just over 10K for the 2 years which will just cover tuition fees. If the bursary falls through then I can claim this. If I do get a bursary then I can cancel this loan as I can't get them both.

Is this correct? Can you get the bursary for both years i.e. about 9 grand in the first and 9 grand in the second? If allocated the bursary does this mean you're guaranteed it for the second year too? Are there any more funding possibilities available??

Thanks

Im in the same boat. Been told im Not on the bursary list so need to consider childcare options but no idea what the timetable is like
Reply 3
Hi just wondering what your decision was in the end? I am too wanting to start a MA course in social work this upcoming September, however concerned with the funding. I have been encouraged that I am likely to get the NHS bursary, which means I will have some money left over after fees. However I have worked this out and it will be just under £5000 for the year after tuituon fees, should I be awarded the full amount.What did you do in terms of funding did you get the nursery was it manageable? We’re you able to get a part time job on top of your studies? I know every uni course is different but your view would give me some help. I’m unsure if to just save up some money for the year to put behind me for my studies. As I have no savings or any opportunities to get any loans credit cards. I’m working full time at the moment but trying to put money aside for then.Any help or advice would be really appreciated!!

Quick Reply

Latest