Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
Willy Pete
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She is right.

Hopefully DA wins because Zuma is becoming more like a dictator everyday.
1010marina
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't see how referencing access to drinking water and better transportation is racial intolerance, but whatever floats your boat.
Metalfros
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
SJW's back at it again!
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Blasphemy!

She's kinda right though. Yes, colonialist rule wasn't exactly friendly, but it did propel many of these places into the modern world. In fact, without colonialism, the modern world as we know it would not exist. Colonialist competition and conquest drove huge advances in science, engineering and economics.

We're always browbeaten over the atrocities and injustices of colonialism, but it's become taboo to talk about the remarkable things it undeniably accomplished (directly or indirectly).

And it's funny to me how people seem to be under the impression that colonial territories were progressive, peaceful paradises before the Europeans arrived. They were already very familiar with conquest and subjugation long before the Europeans landed. Africa, India and the Americas had horrible Kings and empires too, you know.
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Voting DA is better than voting for ZUPTA and the other Guptas in the ANC. She's not wrong either.

I wonder how you feel about how members of the ANC called the leader of the DA a "white man in a black man's skin":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVFU-guYKXc
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
She is entirely right.

(Original post by Dandaman1)
And it's funny to me how people seem to be under the impression that colonial territories were progressive, peaceful paradises before the Europeans arrived. They were already very familiar with conquest and subjugation long before the Europeans landed. Africa, India and the Americas had horrible Kings and empires too, you know.
Before the colonisation, South Africa was populated with tribes that mercilessly slaughtered each other. The Zulus caused a mass depopulation in southern Africa in the 19th century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mfecane
ddrrzzeerr
Report 4 years ago
Agree with the above. I don't think the colonialists were too far off with their sense of cultural superiority and their desire to spread it. Even recently it was in the news that some villagers were eating each other in Africa. You can't blame white people for stuff like that, we don't do that sort of thing in Europe. Those people need civilizing and you can't blame colonialists for trying.
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Praetorian Guard)
>go to africa
>get raped and get aids
>inb4 CT get triggered
vault111
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rule Britannia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fight Back
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The ANC were communist murderers who even killed their own.
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Very few things in history are "all bad", empires have pros and cons. The big con is obviously you're conquering other countries but generally really successful empires take what is good/works in their empire and integrate it with what is good/works with their vassal state/colony. Napoleon conquered significant sections of europe and the middle east but he also introduced massive legal and educational reforms, many of which are the basis of modern law and education today.

Think of the "What have the romans ever done for us?"

"The aquaduct, sanitation, roads, irrigation, medicine, education, wine, public baths, and it's safe to walk the streets at night"
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Colonial powers didn't build and develop their colonies out of some inherent goodness or desire to spread their 'superior culture'. They did it so as to more efficiently and effectively export the resources of those colonies to better feed the industrial revolutions in Western Europe.
StrawbAri
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sternumator)
Agree with the above. I don't think the colonialists were too far off with their sense of cultural superiority and their desire to spread it. Even recently it was in the news that some villagers were eating each other in Africa. You can't blame white people for stuff like that, we don't do that sort of thing in Europe. Those people need civilizing and you can't blame colonialists for trying.
Yes you do :lol:
Your kind have been practising cannibalism since prehistory and even in modern day lmao.
Maybe someone needs to come along and civilise you barbaric Europeans.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)

Stories of racial intolerance are reported on a daily basis in South Africa's newspapers.

People accept that there are white supremacists in this country even 23 years after Nelson Mandela was elected the first black president.

But to hear this line of thinking from someone from a group seen as the most progressive in the country has been described as "gut-wrenching".

There are many people who are obviously deeply disappointed by these primitive thoughts.

But for the many black supporters who have walked away from their traditionally left-leaning political parties and joined the DA, it must be cutting like a knife.

Mr Maimane has to demonstrate that under his watch, the DA cannot be seen to be a party of "Uncle Toms".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39302739
I used to live in Lesotho. Under colonial rule, it had the highest literacy rates in Africa. It had good hospitals, schooling and was well run.

It is now an utter basket case. I am not saying that colonialism is right but I think people knock it because it is trendy to say that colonialism is racist
Fadel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If something was better, doesn't meat it was good. Conquest of territory is inhumane.
Fadel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
Blasphemy!

She's kinda right though. Yes, colonialist rule wasn't exactly friendly, but it did propel many of these places into the modern world. In fact, without colonialism, the modern world as we know it would not exist. Colonialist competition and conquest drove huge advances in science, engineering and economics.

We're always browbeaten over the atrocities and injustices of colonialism, but it's become taboo to talk about the remarkable things it undeniably accomplished (directly or indirectly).
Yes, an advancement for those empires who colonised, not for the colonies. Robbing countries of their natural resources by their own slavery is definitely something to be proud of. Would like to see your reaction if you lived in a colony before, and not enjoying life on the other side of the world with all the priviliges.
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not as bad as those who point out that Hitler made trains run on time, but it is crass and stupid. The point could have been made by saying we inherited a wonderful judiciary (and named a few other things) in 1995, let's not lose these things.
Mature_boys
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mathemagicien)

Stories of racial intolerance are reported on a daily basis in South Africa's newspapers.

People accept that there are white supremacists in this country even 23 years after Nelson Mandela was elected the first black president.

But to hear this line of thinking from someone from a group seen as the most progressive in the country has been described as "gut-wrenching".

There are many people who are obviously deeply disappointed by these primitive thoughts.

But for the many black supporters who have walked away from their traditionally left-leaning political parties and joined the DA, it must be cutting like a knife.

Mr Maimane has to demonstrate that under his watch, the DA cannot be seen to be a party of "Uncle Toms".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-39302739
You are acting like the thought police. Why do you think you need to enforce that only some political information is creditable but not other political information?

News flash for you, there isn't just one opinion in the world. There are many. And there are many often because they are all valid in some form. The world is not black and white. There is not one thing that is good and one thing that is evil.

Where did you hear that things things were terrible under colonialism?

Are you sure that you have objective information? Or do you have political information?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jammy Duel
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The problem in SA is race resentment and racism coming from the blacks. As bad as apartheid was at least government services worked properly, even for the blacks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (126)
43%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.36%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (117)
39.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.71%

Watched Threads