Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Bloody Hell - the Lightening watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Lightening just hit something VERY close to my house. It sounded like something had blown up. I actualy thought that I felt the charge just before it hit (I felt something in my right hand - which was on the computer mouse - and I looked outside just in time to see a blue flash in the garden). The internet disconnected straight away too. All my neighbours are currently trying to figure out what it hit. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Lightening just hit something VERY close to my house. It sounded like something had blown up. I actualy thought that I felt the charge just before it hit (I felt something in my right hand - which was on the computer mouse - and I looked outside just in time to see a blue flash in the garden). The internet disconnected straight away too. All my neighbours are currently trying to figure out what it hit. :eek:
    sucks ... you live in a small town or something ? Lightning never strikes places with tall buildings or so i think .

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be on the net then dude. It could fry your PC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    UKL is that addictive.

ReputationRep:
    Invest in a surge protector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    sucks ... you live in a small town or something ? Lightning never strikes places with tall buildings or so i think .
    Well I'm on the outscirts of Stoke so there arn't many tall buildings here.
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Well I'm off to watch Fraiser now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Well I'm off to watch Fraiser now anyway.
    *Bang* Goes the TV... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Don't talk to me about lightening! I had Charley over my home this weekend! Scary stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    *Bang* Goes the TV... :rolleyes:
    Lol ...there's lightening here though. Quite cool really.

there was 10 mins of rain at dinner time in the north east... otha that that been hot/sunny

ReputationRep:
    I was in a caravan on holiday in south france and i was sitting on some steps and about 30metres in front of me there was a blue light which came down and struck a tree....i could also feel something but the sound straight afterwards was the scariest part...it seemed to carry on forever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Don't talk to me about lightening! I had Charley over my home this weekend! Scary stuff!
    well in merry ole england lightning's pretty much as exciting as the weather gets

ReputationRep:
    My house got hit the other year. It just fused everything and once we clicked the fuses back in everything was fine.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    It does however the lightening conductors on the roofs are designed to safely take a strike. The lightening seems to the find the nearest conductor it can strike to tall buildings a prime target.

If you're in a remote field and lightening strikes you're pretty much a gonna.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Sounds cool. I had a lightning streek outside of my garden which looked extrmely close. Then again, looks are deceiving (sp).

ReputationRep:
    Last Storm season there was a particularly bad one (they sent out tornado warnings as well, I printed them off and stuck them on my walls) I was home alone, so I had to go and sercure outside objects put all the garden furniture in the shed and unplug all eletrical equipment. Put the horses in their stable, lock up all thier stuff and make sure the bloody cat was inside. So anyway, im waiting for this storm and I can see it becuase my window faces south west and thats where the storms come from every afternoon, from the Darling Downs, anyway.

It comes, the wind, the rain and hail and lightening. I could see a lightening cloud getting closer and im like "****!" becuase it was over us and im just waiting and then *bam* struck in the paddock. Ive never hear anything so loud in my life! and it was so bright!

ReputationRep:
    England hasn't had a decent thunderstorm in ages. Long time since I saw sheet lightning for real and not on TV etc/

ReputationRep:
    - OH MY GOD!

There is a thunder and Lightening storm happening~! Its bizarre!!! This early in the morning and at this time of the year! Whats going on!!!!! The end is nigh!

ReputationRep:
    what harm can a few moving electrons ever do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    what harm can a few moving electrons ever do
    Update:

The lightening struck a house a suburb away and killed a woman.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.