Aren't all atheists agnostic?

Watch
Pidge Gunderson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Atheists believe there is no God, however they can never be 100% certain of that fact because there is no proof that God exists or not. They also don't use faith to bridge the gap.

Since a person can never be 100% certain that God does not exist, surely that'd make all atheists agnostic? Or am I thinking about the term atheist in a wrong way?
Somepersonhere
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems more logical that there is no almighty than that there is.
Also maybe if we go in the future, we make a simulation of life in the past?
Cause humans like doing research, lets say someone in the year 2 million wants to research how the year 0-10.000 was.
They just start a life simulator to find out. For them its feels like 2 hours, the fake people spend 10.000 years thinking its real.
How do we know we arent the simulation of future humans? If humans even do exist in the first place? Maybe they are dinosaurs and simulated:

What if there was a huge meteor that extincts dinosaurs?

Okay done with my story
Slipandsquirm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kyou)
Atheists believe there is no God, however they can never be 100% certain of that fact because there is no proof that God exists or not. They also don't use faith to bridge the gap.

Since a person can never be 100% certain that God does not exist, surely that'd make all atheists agnostic? Or am I thinking about the term atheist in a wrong way?
No they are not agnostic because knowledge does not equal certainty. Outside of maths and logic, everything we know is not certain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whilstingeye
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By your standards, could the same not be said for all religious people?
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kyou)

I can never be 100% certain a giant magical invisible undetectable unicorn does not exist.

Does that mean I should entertain the fact that it might exist, on the basis that I cannot prove it doesn't?
Kuffar Sheikh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No - not all atheists are agnostic, just like not all theists are gnostic (claims to KNOW that a god exists).

Agnostic = I don't know
Gnostic = I know

If an atheist claim that he/she KNOWS (regardless of how he/she knows) there is no god, then he/she is a gnostic atheist.

Same way, if a theist that believes god exists, but does not KNOW, then he/she is a gnostic theist.
♥Samantha♥
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP you are partially correct. Agnosticism isn't mutually exclusive with atheism or theism. There are agnostic atheists and agnostic theist. In fact, I would say that the majority of the population fit in these two groups, as only a small minority would say it is 100% definitive that there is or is not a god. People who disagree misunderstand the term 'agnostic,' thinking that it means they're 'in between' or 'not sure' rather than thinking that the existence of god is unknowable.
♥Samantha♥
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But no you cannot extend it to all people, because right or wrong there are some people who believe with 100% certainty that there is or is not a God. Though I disagree with those viewpoints, people do have them. Some people will not even admit to an inkling of doubt.
Pidge Gunderson
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you for your explanation .
john8800
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely they have faith God doesn't exist in the same way theists have faith he does. Theists can't be sure God definatly does exist so are they agnostic?
Castor989
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. But you could say the same about theists and that they can't know God does exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
15.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (64)
30.62%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.96%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (17)
8.13%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.74%
I think it's an unfair expectation (56)
26.79%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.44%

Watched Threads