Raf selection OASC Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
i have my selection coming up and just want to know what sort of questions will be asked on current affairs and important world events what do i research?????
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
i have my selection coming up and just want to know what sort of questions will be asked on current affairs and important world events what do i research?????
Having sat my RN AIB last year, I can advise of the following areas you should focus on for OASC as they are similar across all 3 of the services.
>recent (last 6 months) political issues (UK) - e.g the hutton enquiry, mobilisation of reserve forces
>recent political situations overseas - especially focusing on european & commonwealth countries as well as countries the RAF operates in.
>NATO/UN/EEC
>non-military : gm foods, the euro, the education system, anytheing.

Read the broadsheets (international news sections) everyday for a fortnight before you go, this way, you will have fersh knowledge.

The system I used successfully was to pick 5/6 hotspots (eg Iraq, Israel/Palestine, N. Ireland, Balkans, etc) and learn as much as you can about them - history of country, conflicts, political/economical situation and so on. This way, it is highly likely that the 2/3 places they ask you to talk about you will already be familiar with.

Good luck.
Juji
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Pick between 6 and 8 topics that cover a range of issues. Some military, some civilian. Some national, some international etc. Learn them in detail, but also ensure that you have a broad understanding of the issues in the papers.

Basically, you need to read a quality broadsheet newspaper on a daily basis. Learn the facts, consider the implications and form your own opinions.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (35)
17.24%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (86)
42.36%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
40.39%

Watched Threads