The Student Room Group

Why does Shakespeare refer to 'stars' so much?

Why does Shakespeare refer to 'stars' so much (in Romeo and Juilet). Also, how does this relate to fate?
Reply 1
The idea of fate is introduced right at the start of the play with 'star-cross'd lovers' which is the idea that, no matter what Romeo and Juliet do, they cannot change what happens because it is written in the stars - maybe there is the idea that the stars are out of their reach quite literally, but also figuratively?

Celestial imagery is used frequently throughout the play - in Act 2 Scene 2 Romeo compares Juliet to the stars, the moon, and other wonders in the universe. In Shakespeares time, these would have been seen as fairly mystical, possibly with magical elements that far surpassed the understanding of many people - this would possibly lead the audience to infer things like Romeo's love being limitless, like the wonders of the universe, that Juliet was 'out of this world', and that their love was meant to be - the imagery and flamboyant langauge of Romeo also portrays his boldness and forwardness in the relationship, showing that he is taking the forward role so to speak.

The langauge of Romeo - likening Juliet to stars - can also portray him as having his 'head stuck in the clouds' so to speak - he is blinded by love.

I've got more that I could say on this - I did my A Level coursework on Romeo and Juliet as one of my main texts... feel free to PM me if you want any more help or if none of this makes sense/helps at all! :smile:
Original post by 08graya
The idea of fate is introduced right at the start of the play with 'star-cross'd lovers' which is the idea that, no matter what Romeo and Juliet do, they cannot change what happens because it is written in the stars - maybe there is the idea that the stars are out of their reach quite literally, but also figuratively?

Celestial imagery is used frequently throughout the play - in Act 2 Scene 2 Romeo compares Juliet to the stars, the moon, and other wonders in the universe. In Shakespeares time, these would have been seen as fairly mystical, possibly with magical elements that far surpassed the understanding of many people - this would possibly lead the audience to infer things like Romeo's love being limitless, like the wonders of the universe, that Juliet was 'out of this world', and that their love was meant to be - the imagery and flamboyant langauge of Romeo also portrays his boldness and forwardness in the relationship, showing that he is taking the forward role so to speak.

The langauge of Romeo - likening Juliet to stars - can also portray him as having his 'head stuck in the clouds' so to speak - he is blinded by love.

I've got more that I could say on this - I did my A Level coursework on Romeo and Juliet as one of my main texts... feel free to PM me if you want any more help or if none of this makes sense/helps at all! :smile:

Do you have any notes on romeo and Juliet which you can share with me? I am doing this play at gcse and I am really struggling.
Reply 3
Original post by Samosa and Vada
Do you have any notes on romeo and Juliet which you can share with me? I am doing this play at gcse and I am really struggling.

I will do! I'm at home for the weekend and my old laptop is at uni still, but when I'm back on Sunday evening I'll have a look for you :smile:
The theme of stars runs a motif through the play, it is mainly used in reference to Juliet and her beauty but also her star-crossed and doomed romance with Romeo. Romeo talks about stars in reference to Juliet's eyes as "two of the fairest stars in all the heaven", to Romeo Juliet's eyes are so bright and beautiful it is like her eyes are stars and that two of the brightest stars have asked her eyes to twinkle in their place while they are gone. However, Juliet is also shown to be even more beautiful then the stars because her cheeks would outshine the stars, basically emphasising R as a hopelessly love sick boy

Just as stars are fated in place and meant to be together for even Juliet feels her and R will be together forever even in death because death is eternal peace. Basically, stars as fate are the bane of true star-crossed love and the lovers can only truly be free in death

Hope that isn't too confusing and helps in someway
Original post by 08graya
I will do! I'm at home for the weekend and my old laptop is at uni still, but when I'm back on Sunday evening I'll have a look for you :smile:

Thank you. That's very kind from you.
Original post by 08graya

Thanks so much!! this has been really helpful and i'll be sure to contact you if i need a bit more help on the play.
Reply 7
Original post by Samosa and Vada
Thank you. That's very kind from you.

No problem! Can i just check, is there any specific themes you are looking at or is it just the play as a whole? I've got my old folder here and will type some stuff up for you over the course of this week if that's ok :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Bertybassett
Thanks so much!! this has been really helpful and i'll be sure to contact you if i need a bit more help on the play.

No problem! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending