Turn on thread page Beta

Why is this wrong? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On "Bad Girls" tonight one character who was black said to another character (not that I watch this programme) :

"You should think twice before you open your stupid white mouth" (or words to this effect)

If a white character had said "you should think twice before you open your stupid black mouth" the tv complaints commission would have had to employ 20 new staff to deal with the number of complaints.

Also why is it ok for one black person to call another ****** yet if a white person used this terminology there would be all sorts of problems?

good point bud.

ReputationRep:
    This should be moved to the Debate forum before it explodes out of hand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeWired)
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)

Also why is it ok for one black person to call another ****** yet if a white person used this terminology there would be all sorts of problems?
    Its not used as a racist term, but as a term of endearment. White people say it in a racist sense. You get me brother? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How did it get inside the hand in the first place? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because you're clearly debating this as an issue? There's a forum for that where if people wish to debate it they can. That's not controversial is it?

I see you may have a point in what you've raised though this isn't really the place to debate the pros or cons of that...

(Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    That is a fair point, I submit defeat with immediate effect.

ReputationRep:
    Because you're clearly debating this as an issue? There's a forum for that where if people wish to debate it they can. That's not controversial is it?

I see you may have a point in what you've raised though this isn't really the place to debate the pros or cons of that...
    Well the pros of it being posted in the general chat... It was a general comment and lots of people will see it to comment on it and be aware of the situation

the cons of this thread being in general chat... It might become more like a debate, and it will save people who dont like debates or can't be bothered to particiapte from scrolling through a list of threads about controversial topics

ReputationRep:

That is a fair point, I submit defeat with immediate effect.
    Based on this criteria are there not several threads that could be moved to the debate section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pixelfairy #1)
    Good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Its not used as a racist term, but as a term of endearment. White people say it in a racist sense. You get me brother? :rolleyes:
    But if I, as a white person use the term "******" as a term of endearment how do people know if I am using it in a racist sense or not?

ReputationRep:
    But if I, as a white person use the term "******" as a term of endearment how do people know if I am using it in a racist sense or not?
    You're white... of course it's racist. All white people are racist. End of story. (this is to prove a point about the mentality of the british public not my personal views).

ReputationRep:
    Because most people believe that you cannot be racist towards your own race and therefore nothing you say to a member of your own race can have racist connotations. Another example: Borat singing an anti-Semitic song on Friday night. Would he have been able to get away with it if he wasn't being played by a Jew? Easy answer.

ReputationRep:
    On "Bad Girls" tonight one character who was black said to another character (not that I watch this programme) :

"You should think twice before you open your stupid white mouth" (or words to this effect)

If a white character had said "you should think twice before you open your stupid black mouth" the tv complaints commission would have had to employ 20 new staff to deal with the number of complaints.

Well, back in the days, white people have been racist to blacks and exploited them for like many many years leading to the blacks only being able to pick on people of their own colour. But after all the racist malarki 'seemingly' settled to a fair justice - it wasn't completely fair! Racism still goes on everywhere especially amongst the white trash and their children (look at how white 'scrubbers' in school STILL in this generation be racist). You can call me prejudice for using that term on them, but they bought it up themselves. So that brings me back to blacks only being able to pick on their own, and so some call or greet each other ******* - which is completely fine and moral. Then black rappers came into play, and took over most of the music industry, and therefore '******' became a word amongst them - all fair and square. It is THEIR word now - stolen from the whites.

Ok, and "You should think twice before you open your stupid white mouth". This is perfectly acceptable because of the majority and minority pressures. There are more whites watching the programme or surrounding the black so it is fair to use such phrases because the black would never win amongst all those whites, so to be balanced and fair, they are allowed to say such a sentence because they face pressure. However, if it was said in Africa, then it would be racist.

The world is so complex, just let it be simple.

ReputationRep:
    err, not strictly true as one of the prison officers was sent on a race-relations course for using racist terms against that particular prisoner in the plot-line.

it is a drama after all (not that i watch bad girls or anything :cool: )

ReputationRep:
    Historically the terms, "Negro" and "******" have been used to sub-class black people by their white counterparts. Thus if a white person uses the term, it is perceived as a racist comment.

ReputationRep:

Yes the first is inappropriate and racist, but unfortunately I can't see ppl complaining about it.
    As for the second ... it's the same with us ndn's, we can use terms such as 'skin' 'red ass' 'red skin' 'injun' and so on w/out offending each other. But if a white was to say "Hey you red skin injun!" well, it would be in very poor taste and some would be offended.
    I would think it would be the same for whites aswell to a degree, I mean your not going to be offended by someone of your own race saying "kiss my white ass!"

ReputationRep:

Like other people have said, people turning racist insults on its head and using it as terms to address each other has been going on for ages. Although i doubt caucasian people will start calling each other "honkys" anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay for minorites to insult everyone else, but not the other way around. They call it "equality".

ReputationRep:
    Technically, that comment is racist. However, people forget the racism goes both ways, and 'white' people just have to put up with it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.