FourSeasons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I am studying Higher English this year and always struggle with writing my close reading answers. I am not sure how to word them.

Whenever a question comes up about word choice, imagery, sentence structure etc. the only way I start my answers is with 'The writer's use of _____ '

This is the only format I know how to use and it doesn't always work best for every type of question.

Even if you are studying National 5 or Adv Higher, if anyone has any ways to format my answers it would be really helpful!

I'm looking for ideal sentence starters on:
1. Word Choice
2. Imagery
3. Sentence Structure
4. Tone
5. Effective Conclusions/Openings
6. Main Ideas in the text etc.

Thankyou!
scotlandishtube
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FourSeasons)
So I am studying Higher English this year and always struggle with writing my close reading answers. I am not sure how to word them.

Whenever a question comes up about word choice, imagery, sentence structure etc. the only way I start my answers is with 'The writer's use of _____ '

This is the only format I know how to use and it doesn't always work best for every type of question.

Even if you are studying National 5 or Adv Higher, if anyone has any ways to format my answers it would be really helpful!

I'm looking for ideal sentence starters on:
1. Word Choice
2. Imagery
3. Sentence Structure
4. Tone
5. Effective Conclusions/Openings
6. Main Ideas in the text etc.

Thankyou!

Hi! I am also studying higher english.

My advice for answering questions is that it is not required to word the "intro" to your answer well, you do not get credit / marks for it.

Here are examples of what I do:

"Goddess" - Word Choice - The writers use of goddess suggests ...
"!" - Sentence Structure - The use of an exclamation mark emphasises...
Throughout the paragraph the downcast tone was shown through...
The writers conclusion links back to ... (almost always first paragraph)

I got a good mark for english last year (around 90% however I got 24/30 for RUAE).

I advise doing close reading practice on the poems you have studied / set texts.

Or try here: https://bearsdeneng.files.wordpress....-booklet-1.pdf

Hope it helps!
FourSeasons
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by scotlandishtube)
Hi! I am also studying higher english.

My advice for answering questions is that it is not required to word the "intro" to your answer well, you do not get credit / marks for it.

Here are examples of what I do:

"Goddess" - Word Choice - The writers use of goddess suggests ...
"!" - Sentence Structure - The use of an exclamation mark emphasises...
Throughout the paragraph the downcast tone was shown through...
The writers conclusion links back to ... (almost always first paragraph)

I got a good mark for english last year (around 90% however I got 24/30 for RUAE).

I advise doing close reading practice on the poems you have studied / set texts.

Or try here: https://bearsdeneng.files.wordpress....-booklet-1.pdf

Hope it helps!
Wow! Thank you, this is so much help. Doing what you suggested will definitely save me time too, which is something I struggled with at Nat 5. It's also more direct too. Perfect!

Just wondering, how did you find the pdf? Was it provided by your school or did you discover it yourself? It looks very useful. I will definitely be using it
scotlandishtube
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FourSeasons)
Wow! Thank you, this is so much help. Doing what you suggested will definitely save me time too, which is something I struggled with at Nat 5. It's also more direct too. Perfect!

Just wondering, how did you find the pdf? Was it provided by your school or did you discover it yourself? It looks very useful. I will definitely be using it
I was just googling online for practice papers as I've done the SQA ones already and found it :P
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.35%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.1%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
17.96%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (64)
26.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.18%

Watched Threads