The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Would I be stupid to turn down St Andrews?

I loved st andrews as a place when I visited, everyone was so friendly and the course is prefect. Its so far away from my gf so that wouldn't work. It has like no nightlife but not that am a huge clubber but it's deffo something I want to do more of at uni. It's 4 years too. The place just doesn't excite me as a city does, it seems boring but a lovely safe place.

My other option is Bristol but that's only 30 mins away and it wouldnt be like moving to a new place with independence. I love bristol as a place. Perfect size with clubs and greenery. But I don't like the course.

Would I be stupid to turn down the prestige of st andrews and an amazing course for 3 years of 'fun'?
Original post by DanielSmith1999
I loved st andrews as a place when I visited, everyone was so friendly and the course is prefect. Its so far away from my gf so that wouldn't work. It has like no nightlife but not that am a huge clubber but it's deffo something I want to do more of at uni. It's 4 years too. The place just doesn't excite me as a city does, it seems boring but a lovely safe place.

My other option is Bristol but that's only 30 mins away and it wouldnt be like moving to a new place with independence. I love bristol as a place. Perfect size with clubs and greenery. But I don't like the course.

Would I be stupid to turn down the prestige of st andrews and an amazing course for 3 years of 'fun'?

At the end of the day, you are paying £9250+ per year for your course, so it would seem silly to go to Bristol if you don't like the course.
It would be like buying a box of chocolates that you know you don't like just because the packaging is nicer.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2

I am also having problems choosing between St Andrews and another university, albeit for different reasons. As far as I can tell, there are plenty of places to drink and such in St Andrews, but I am not entirely sure because it is not a factor I look at in detail.

Although you feel like you may have more fun in Bristol right now, I think you will still have plent of fun in St Andrews. Also, although fun is an important factor when choosing university, ultimately, university is for getting a degree, and if you hate the course at Bristol, you may not get a good grade on your degree, or may even have a higher chance of dropping out.

As for your girlfriend problem, I think that your relationship could still work if you move to St Andrews, provided that you make effort to visit each other as much as possible, or call often, for example, on Skype. I have a boyfriend who lives in Germany, and our relationship works perfectly, despite the distance; we just have to make a lot of time for each other and visit each other as much as possible.

That is just my opinion, and I hope you will be able to make the right decision for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

It kinda seems like neither place would suit you if I'm completely honest. If you don't like the course at Bristol, you shouldn't go there and it seems like you won't be happy at St Andrews - and in reality you need to be both happy with the course and where you are in terms of what you want to do.

Where else have you got offers from?
My other option is Kings but that's so expensive !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending