Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Fear of eating out. Watch

Please don't judge me, this is the first time I have spoken about it, I don't want my family or friends to find out as I'm worried about what they would say and the fact they will judge me etc etc.

Basically, whenever I eat out, I don't enjoy it. I get sweaty palms, tummy ache become nervous/anxious etc and I try to avoid eating out as much as possible. I'm not bothered by the calories, or anything like that, as when I'm at home I actually eat quite a lot. I'm starting to get really sick of it and I feel as though I'm being held back because of it.

In June, after my GCSEs, I'm going abroad with my friend, I'm so nervous because of the food and this fear I have. I almost turned it down, although my mum convinced me to go and that I would regret it if I didn't go. Now, I'm having second thoughts, just because of this food phobia, and I know I should be looking forward to it, and part of me is but the other part isn't. Its really starting to get to me and I'm so so sick of it and just want to be like everyone else, with no fears, but I just can't do it.

If anyone has anything like this please help me, I really can't carry on and I really want to be 'normal' again.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Please don't judge me, this is the first time I have spoken about it, I don't want my family or friends to find out as I'm worried about what they would say and the fact they will judge me etc etc.

Basically, whenever I eat out, I don't enjoy it. I get sweaty palms, tummy ache become nervous/anxious etc and I try to avoid eating out as much as possible. I'm not bothered by the calories, or anything like that, as when I'm at home I actually eat quite a lot. I'm starting to get really sick of it and I feel as though I'm being held back because of it.

In June, after my GCSEs, I'm going abroad with my friend, I'm so nervous because of the food and this fear I have. I almost turned it down, although my mum convinced me to go and that I would regret it if I didn't go. Now, I'm having second thoughts, just because of this food phobia, and I know I should be looking forward to it, and part of me is but the other part isn't. Its really starting to get to me and I'm so so sick of it and just want to be like everyone else, with no fears, but I just can't do it.

If anyone has anything like this please help me, I really can't carry on and I really want to be 'normal' again. :(
    Please don't worry, I have advice.
    Try and keep a normal and healthy lifestyle and follow the balanced diet chart. I was like you once- or similarly. Overeating? I'm not sure.
    Do excerise- even if you feel self coulncious about your body, unless, you don't want your problem solved.
    Glad to help.

ReputationRep:

If anyone has anything like this please help me, I really can't carry on and I really want to be 'normal' again.
    Do you know what it is about eating out that makes you feel this way? Is it to do with the food or the environment or what?
    If you know what it is it's a lot easier to deal with. There's a type of therapy called CBT which looks at problems you are having, what makes it an issues for you and how you can change your thinking to improve the situation.
    It's a type of therapy, but it's also something you can look at yourself with online resources. It's basically designed to help you develop a "normal" thought process in relation to specific issues.

I know you are scared to open up to people about this, but it could help if you tell this friend at least a little bit about it so you aren't having to put on a brave face all the time. You don't have to go into loads of detail- just let them know that you are a bit uncomfortable eating out.

Please don't worry, I have advice.
    Try and keep a normal and healthy lifestyle and follow the balanced diet chart. I was like you once- or similarly. Overeating? I'm not sure.
    Do excerise- even if you feel self coulncious about your body, unless, you don't want your problem solved.
    Glad to help.
    I would say that I do eat a balanced diet, I'm not overweight although I don't exercise a lot. What exercises do you recommend? Thanks for your help

(Original post by Kindred)
    Do you know what it is about eating out that makes you feel this way? Is it to do with the food or the environment or what?
    If you know what it is it's a lot easier to deal with. There's a type of therapy called CBT which looks at problems you are having, what makes it an issues for you and how you can change your thinking to improve the situation.
    It's a type of therapy, but it's also something you can look at yourself with online resources. It's basically designed to help you develop a "normal" thought process in relation to specific issues.

I know you are scared to open up to people about this, but it could help if you tell this friend at least a little bit about it so you aren't having to put on a brave face all the time. You don't have to go into loads of detail- just let them know that you are a bit uncomfortable eating out.
    I think it's a mixture of the environment and the food, although I'm not entirely sure
    I honestly can't tell anyone, they will judge me and tell my other friends (I am in a group of 6 and if I tell 1 they will probably all find out) and I also don't know how I would tell them
    I will definitely look into CBT thank you very much for your help, I will let you know if it works, fingers crossed

Please go. You need to push the boundaries a bit.
    I would agree with getting some cbt therapy.
    If you just practice and go somewhere informal where they wont care like Mcdonalds, then you can build up.

ID what it is about eating out that makes you uncomfy? the toilet, finishing your food, thinking people are watching etc.

Heres plenty of stories of people with the fear who have overcome it. Just to show you it isnt just you who has had this social anxiety.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44945

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Please go. You need to push the boundaries a bit.
    I would agree with getting some cbt therapy.
    If you just practice and go somewhere informal where they wont care like Mcdonalds, then you can build up.

ID what it is about eating out that makes you uncomfy? the toilet, finishing your food, thinking people are watching etc.

Heres plenty of stories of people with the fear who have overcome it. Just to show you it isnt just you who has had this social anxiety.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=44945
    Thanks for the stories I am reading some now and it's nice to know I'm not the only one facing this struggle
    I have googled CBT therapy and it looks good although I can't find anywhere to do it online so now I don't know what to do
    I think the thing that makes me uncomfortable is the environment and the food. I never feel hungry when we eat out and will hardly eat anything, so it must be the environment although I'm not entirely sure.
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the stories I am reading some now and it's nice to know I'm not the only one facing this struggle
    I have googled CBT therapy and it looks good although I can't find anywhere to do it online so now I don't know what to do
    I think the thing that makes me uncomfortable is the environment and the food. I never feel hungry when we eat out and will hardly eat anything, so it must be the environment although I'm not entirely sure.
    Thanks for your help.
    You can get CBT via your GP
    You need to talk it out till you find what it is and why, there will be reasons. i.e what it is about th food and environment hat makes you anxious. the point of the stories is that there were several examples of people just getting older and it ceasing to be a problem.

If environment is the problem, then start at the most informal and comfiest environment i.e a quiet pub and work up.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cogniti...roduction.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    Just stop going down on her and stick to sex
    Yeah I totally thought this thread was gonna be completely different.

You can get CBT via your GP
    You need to talk it out till you find what it is and why, there will be reasons. i.e what it is about th food and environment hat makes you anxious. the point of the stories is that there were several examples of people just getting older and it ceasing to be a problem.

If environment is the problem, then start at the most informal and comfiest environment i.e a quiet pub and work up.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cogniti...roduction.aspx
    I have been thinking about it today and realised that my phobia is the fear of being sick in public after something which happened back in July (won't go into any details).
    Part of me wants to tell someone and get therapy but I'm just so worried about what they will say and I don't know how to.

I have been thinking about it today and realised that my phobia is the fear of being sick in public after something which happened back in July (won't go into any details).
    Part of me wants to tell someone and get therapy but I'm just so worried about what they will say and I don't know how to.
    Thing is if you let this anxiety rule, then another one could set in. Just talk to your GP and tell them you have anxiety issues.

Alternatively hang around on some of the anxiety forums.

The things you worry about other people do not, so you will have to grapple with that. Things happen sometimes. its not the end of the world or as bad as you imagine.

Thing is if you let this anxiety rule, then another one could set in. Just talk to your GP and tell them you have anxiety issues.

Alternatively hang around on some of the anxiety forums.

The things you worry about other people do not, so you will have to grapple with that. Things happen sometimes. its not the end of the world or as bad as you imagine.
    I can't go to my gp alone as I am not old enough, I don't think, so that means I would have to tell my parents, which is what I'm worried about as I don't how to.
    I am going to have a look on the anxiety forums and if my anxiety gets worse this week, I am going to tell someone.

Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be like this, just take it very slow, order something and eat it slowly and concentrate, very few (if anyone) is watching and not for long, actually if someone is watching you eat they probably find you hot or something anyway, or they're just weird.

ReputationRep:
    I was very stressed out couple yrs ago so I developed the same ,,phobia".
    Even today I don't feel very comfortable eating out but I am doing much better. I am sure that it'll get better.:-)

(Original post by Chamberling)
    I used to be like this, just take it very slow, order something and eat it slowly and concentrate, very few (if anyone) is watching and not for long, actually if someone is watching you eat they probably find you hot or something anyway, or they're just weird.
    What did you do to overcome it? Just build it up over time until it started to slowly fade away?
    Glad to know I'm not the only one, thanks for sharing

(Original post by Ann UK)
    I was very stressed out couple yrs ago so I developed the same ,,phobia".
    Even today I don't feel very comfortable eating out but I am doing much better. I am sure that it'll get better.:-)
    What did you do to overcome the fear and what do you do when actually eating out to help? Did you go to a gp or did you just deal with it alone?
    Thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    What did you do to overcome the fear and what do you do when actually eating out to help? Did you go to a gp or did you just deal with it alone?
    Thanks for sharing
    I went to GP but we didn't discuss this issue.I was depressed(I had a reason for it)so my anxiety and low self_esteem created my fear of eating out.
    Luckily I overcame my depression,got a new job.Keeping busy helped me a lot to overcome my anxiety.
    When I am busy ,I feel important,when I feel important I don't care what others think of me.
    I've also noticed that worrying about it makes it worse. Just tell yourself that it's just a phase and it will pass.Try to focus on more positive things...If u don't feel like eating out don't force yourself. Try to do it when u are in a good mood,and around positive ppl.
    Don't be ashamed.It's not ur fault.I think that it's a shame of our society that discussing anxiety is still a taboo.

ReputationRep:
    What did you do to overcome it? Just build it up over time until it started to slowly fade away?
    Glad to know I'm not the only one, thanks for sharing
    GP and CBT were pretty useless for me, medication and doing it a few times so I felt comfortable worked better. Just take it really slow, don't rush to get your wallet out when paying, or rush to cut / eat your food, I usually finish last but I also enjoy it more.

I can't go to my gp alone as I am not old enough, I don't think, so that means I would have to tell my parents, which is what I'm worried about as I don't how to.
    I am going to have a look on the anxiety forums and if my anxiety gets worse this week, I am going to tell someone.

Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated.
    Im studying at the moment so I cant give you enough attention. You are allowed to see the GP on your own. You could also ring childline on 0800 1111 or try some of the social anxiety charities.

What im seeing is you are worried about everything and thats not a good place to be, so you could really do with some help to overcome as most people arent worried about the things you are and it holds you back. Those forums should be a comfy place to hang out and talk to people who can empathise.

http://www.nopanic.org.uk/helpline-volunteering/
    https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/our-ser...e-and-anxiety/

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/a...y-in-teens.htm
    http://www.childanxiety.net/Social_Phobia.htm
    http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/shy...cialphobia.asp

(Original post by Ann UK)
    I went to GP but we didn't discuss this issue.I was depressed(I had a reason for it)so my anxiety and low self_esteem created my fear of eating out.
    Luckily I overcame my depression,got a new job.Keeping busy helped me a lot to overcome my anxiety.
    When I am busy ,I feel important,when I feel important I don't care what others think of me.
    I've also noticed that worrying about it makes it worse. Just tell yourself that it's just a phase and it will pass.Try to focus on more positive things...If u don't feel like eating out don't force yourself. Try to do it when u are in a good mood,and around positive ppl.
    Don't be ashamed.It's not ur fault.I think that it's a shame of our society that discussing anxiety is still a taboo.
    Oh so did you deal with this fear alone? Thanks for sharing you tips- I can definitely relate, during the week I feel much calmer as I'm busy, but at the weekend, when I have more time to relax, I often overthink the problem and worry.
    It's such a shame about the stigma around mental health, still, I hope one day there is none and people will feel at ease to speak about their mental health.
    Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to know I'm not the only one facing this problem.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: March 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.